Progressive MS and finding suitable housing.

gpp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone.

I have gained vast amounts of informed opinion on this site with regards to debt and associated issues. I'm now chancing my arm if any CAG 'er can help me with a more pressing issue.

Please allow me to put you in the picture. I was diagnosed withMS 20.12.11. At that time I could walk in a straight line although I lost my balance slightly when I got up out of a chair. As I chat now, I cannot walk without crutches and any distance greater than 20 or so steps I now use a wheelchair or motorised scooter. I have bladder issues and am losing strength in both of my arms and legs. My motor skills on my left side are diminishing and I have speech issues. My memory is only marginally better then that of an octaganarian goldfish!

I was moved to ask for help as my Neurologist and MS nurse, on a visit on Tuesday, told me that I must now look five years plus into the future. They both said that single floor living was now an imperative, at present I now live in a house.

I have thought that this will be the case as my condition has moved on considerably in the past nine months. However, this is where the problems for my family and I escalate hugely. I will not bore you all any further as I will now cut to the chase.

If we sell our house, we may have 18 months or so rent available if we are lucky for a suitable home to live.

My brother has a home that is big enough for us all but is designed in such a way that for all intents and purposes can be used as a one bedroom bungalow for when the time comes that I am confined to a wheelchair. There is enough room in the home to turn a downstairs room into a wet room for when my mobility is poorer than it is at present. It will be very Important that my brother receives rent for this property for many years to come.

I have not worked for some 11months and my wife spends many hours caring for me. If my health professionals are correct, these hours will increase four fold in he moving few years.

Q1. If I was to move my family and I into my brothers home and pay a years rent to him and spend the residue on adapting various aspects of the home to accommodate my various forthcoming needs, will I be able to apply for housing benefit to enable my family and I to have somewhere to live. I have heard that there are concerns that renting a family members home is a no no as I understand that local authorities are very suspicious that there may be collusion between the parties. A train of thought I totally appreciate.

Q2. Is it worthwhile contacting the heads of my local authority and those surrounding us and asking hem for their views?

Q3. We have looked at various properties in and around the local area and have tried to find one. However, my increasing disability and the consequential increase in the level of care my wife has to provide, we have learnt in no uncertain terms that we are not prime new mortgage customers!

I have sounded out various persons but no one can point me in any real direction.

We have been peppered with various things over the last few months, however, his is the one that is concerning us the most.

Please accept my apologies for the long winded introduction, I thought it apt to provide some background.

Thanks in advance for any help me pointers.

Regards

Hello gpp, welcome to the CAG.

Enjoy your visit, but take some time to look around the forum and understand where everything is.

It can seem confusing at first but you will start to find your way round and to understand what a helpful community we are.

You haven't received any replies to your post yet. Try posting your query again in a relevant sub-foum. You will get the help and support you need there.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

Hi, I have moved you thread to the benefits forum for more views.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

When deciding whether the council / LA will give you rent if renting from a relative, they look at things like if you don't pay the rent, will you get kicked out, etc. There is no simple yes or no answer here.

Social services might be able to give you advice on housing, etc.

When deciding whether the council / LA will give you rent if renting from a relative, they look at things like if you don't pay the rent, will you get kicked out, etc. There is no simple yes or no answer here.

Social services might be able to give you advice on housing, etc.

Exactly. Ultimately it will come down to the decision maker dealing with your case, and there is no way of telling which they that will go. Its more predictable if your brother had previously rented the house commercially, and would continue to if you were not to rent it.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Housing Benefit isn't based on level of disability,,I agree with Nystagmite and Estellyn ,talk to Social Services

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.