TK Maxx refund refusal

antony-ryan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5553 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some advice on how to proceed with a problem I encountered at TK Maxx today.

Basically what happened is that I bought a coat on the 15th September for £39.99. When I got the coat home I removed the price tag which was on the sleevebecause the way it was attached meant that I couldn't get my arm through the sleeve properly. Anyway the coat fiited fine so I threw the ticket away and hung the coat up in my wardrobe. I haven't worn the coat at all apart from to try it on.

Last week I found another coat that I preferred so i bought this with the intention of returning the original quiksilver coat that i bought on the 15th September.

So today I went to the TK Maxx branch that I bought the coat from complete with the receipt for the coat. I requested a refund, which TK Maxx claim they are happy to do within 30 days of purchase with a receipt. Because the price icket wasn't on they checked the receipt and claim that the receipt doesn't match the coat. So I explained that it's the only item Ive bought in the last few months so there must have been a mistake made on the receipt. The manager said she's not prepared to provide a refund because they don't have any coats like the one I bought in the store and the receipt doesn't match. The manager then basically accused me of purchasing the coat elsewhere and trying to return it to TK Maxx. She siad that I could have bought the coat anywhere.

At this point I asked for the contact details of their head office and left the store.

I'm really disappointed that the staff were so unsympathetic to my situation especially as TK Maxx are supposed to offer a refund within 30 days. As the the 30 days is nearly up should I initailly complain to TK Maxx head office? Also should I just provide details as above? Any help would be gratefully received.

First of all I would go back into TK Maxx and get a letter or something written with todays date to state you tried to get a refund but were refused on the grounds of no proof of purchase. I would then try the softly softly approach of writing to head office attaching a copy of your receipt and see what happens, completely disgraceful behavious from a store!

What does it say on the receipt, i.e is it completely different from the coat details?

The receipt states that it's mens outerwear, which it is. The problem is that the manager said the receipt code is for a hooded top! I did inform her that the coat has a hood. But she just said that's she not prepared to provide a refund.

There's a chance that they actually sold you a coat but the ticket (and so the receipt details) is for something else.

Somewhat unlikely though. The receipt should have a number on it with two digits and then three or four after. eg. 23 3467. The 23 defines the kind of clothing.

TKMaxx do get a lot of people trying to con them, which will be why they're being funny about it.

Worth asking head office.

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

Yeah without the ticket you're probably struggling, and if it's not a statutary rights issue, which it's not, then you have to rely on the goodwill of the store. I've bought things there before and sometimes the ticket doesnt match the thing itself. Maybe it's a generic description for something.

if you paid by a debit or credit card you could provide them with your statement as proof you paid the price on the receipt on the day the receipt was printed

doesn't prove those were the goods you bought though - obviously the receipt proves the OP paid that ammount on the day in question.

I sent a letter to their head office last week expressing my disappointment. Anyway I was asked to post the coat to them on Monday which I did and today I received a phone call. I was offered a credit note but I said that I'm not really happy with that. So I was informed that I should receive a cheque next week.

I'm still not delighted about the situation because I've had to waste time and money on this. However at least I'm finally geeting a refund (fingers crossed) and I do appreciate that they may get lots of [problematic]. But hey, I was genuinely returning a product and it's not my fault if it was incorrectly labelled. Anyway I'll certainly think twice in future about buying a product that I may have to return.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Antony

• 2 years later...

Hi, I now this was a long time ago..but Id just like to say that Tk Maxx have to return that item..on the recipt it should say what it is in catagory...yours should be jackets and coats or active what ever it is. If it is what you want to return then they have to do it even if it has not got the ticket on the arm. I work in tk maxx and I have returns with no ticket only the recipt. I had some one buying some kids cloths for a 12 year old but it was saying it was 9 months on the recipt. If the price is write who cares