DVLA has lost my vehicle's records....... How I got screwed at random by the DVLA

Richard Davidson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm trying to get my motorcycle back on the road. I bought it from a motorbike dealer in 2001, rode it for a year or two, then left it in my shed for about 10 years. I never received a V5C from the dealer. So I went to the DVLA to get my copy....

Normally this would simply be a case of applying for a copy from the DVLA for £25

The problem arises when the DVLA inform me that the have NO RECORDS OF MY VEHICLE WHAT SO EVER!!!!

no registration, nothing, so according to the DVLA helpline my vehicle doesn't exist!! when I complained over the phone the helpline lady kindly told me that she would keep her mouth shut about it, oddly enough,,,(anything to help eh).

Several problems in fact, all of which cost much much more money of corse......

After sifting through the very ambiguous literature provided by the direct.gov.uk web site I am pretty sure that I will have to apply for a MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) £85 at one of the 19 VOSA test stations. Then I think that would give the bike a 'Q' plate.

After that would be an application for a new registration £55. Then I can go ahead and pay for the MOT and road tax. (and then possibly go see a priest).

My point is that the government department messed up the records one way or another and I'm going to have to pay in money and time just to get it put right.

I can't believe it's gona cost me so much to fix another prize plum from the DVLA.

If they lose millions of records? and everyone has to pay to get the records put straight to stay out of Traffic Court...

HOW MUCH MONEY DID THEY MAKE FROM LOSING ALL THOSE RECORDS????

I also heard that a 'Q' plate is going to bump up the cost of insurance.. Is that true?

Is there any hope out there for this kind of situation?

I'm trying to get my motorcycle back on the road. I bought it from a motorbike dealer in 2001, rode it for a year or two, then left it in my shed for about 10 years. I never received a V5C from the dealer. So I went to the DVLA to get my copy....

Normally this would simply be a case of applying for a copy from the DVLA for £25

The problem arises when the DVLA inform me that the have NO RECORDS OF MY VEHICLE WHAT SO EVER!!!!

no registration, nothing, so according to the DVLA helpline my vehicle doesn't exist!! when I complained over the phone the helpline lady kindly told me that she would keep her mouth shut about it, oddly enough,,,(anything to help eh).

Several problems in fact, all of which cost much much more money of corse......

After sifting through the very ambiguous literature provided by the direct.gov.uk web site I am pretty sure that I will have to apply for a MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) £85 at one of the 19 VOSA test stations. Then I think that would give the bike a 'Q' plate.

After that would be an application for a new registration £55. Then I can go ahead and pay for the MOT and road tax. (and then possibly go see a priest).

My point is that the government department messed up the records one way or another and I'm going to have to pay in money and time just to get it put right.

I can't believe it's gona cost me so much to fix another prize plum from the DVLA.

If they lose millions of records? and everyone has to pay to get the records put straight to stay out of Traffic Court...

HOW MUCH MONEY DID THEY MAKE FROM LOSING ALL THOSE RECORDS????

I also heard that a 'Q' plate is going to bump up the cost of insurance.. Is that true?

Is there any hope out there for this kind of situation?

TBH i'm surprised they've not fined you for not originally letting them know about the change of keeper and the subsequent taxing (or not in your case of the vehicle) sometimes you've just got to take responsibility for your actions. If that bikes been of the radar for ten years it not unreasonable to think it has been scrapped exported etc

Theyre a private buisness who make a ton of money by not performing their duties correctly. Simple as that. As for being scrapped/exported, thats not how it works. The DVLA presume the vehicle is still on the road until the necessary documentation is completed or until the police say otherwise.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D