style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I would like any advice that you may have regarding a breach of confidentiality by a doctors receptionist. I have a 'friend' who works at a local doctors surgery as a receptionist. I saw her at the local shops today and she came up to me to chat. She started talking about a mutual friend who is suffering with cancer. She went into some detail of how bad things are for this person and how she is now on anti-depressants etc. Before ending the conversation this woman also said to me not to mention it to our friend as she only knows through reading her notes at the surgery.

I telephoned the person in question after this and asked how she was doing etc. I did not mention my conversation at the shops with the receptionist but it seems that this person has not actually seen the receptionist for a while.

It is not the first time the receptionist has discussed details of patients medical information with myself and other friends but I now think it is time to take some action. This conversation was in the middle of a local shop and open for anyone to hear. Plus I did not ask for this information and did not feel comfortable being given it (this I did say before ending the conversation and leaving the shop).

I have thought about writing to the practice manager at the surgery but I would like any advice on who else I can report this too. Surely it is a breach of the data protection act or some medical rules?

Thank you in advance for any advice :-)

A quiet word with the practice manager in strct confidence is needed this is a gross breach of confidentiallity.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi Brigadier,

thank you for that. I had thought of writing but had not thought of actually visiting. Do you think it is worth writing to the General Medical Council or anyone? I know that there has already been a formal warning given to this receptionist a while ago for discussing patients details with others.

No this is not a matter for the GMC it is an internal matter for the practice to sort out receptionists are not medically trained, perhaps a confidential letter to the

practice manager to arrange an appointment??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi

Have to agree with Brig on this as that receptionist is just that a receptionist who would have a medical confidentiality clause in their contract.

As they are employed by the Practice you need to complain to the Practice Manager of that Practice as this is a breach of medical confidentiality and a breach of the data protection act..

This should be taken very seriously by the practice as the receptionist has breached medical confidentiality and trust and confidence of there employers by discussing patients medical records outside of work and by there actions are opening that practice up to possible negligence claims if said patients ever found out.

Also have a look at the practices website on complaints but also look at the your local health boards website.

Most local doctors surgeries/practices as well as having internal accountability are also accountable to the local health board of that area they operate in.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

This is a gross breach of the DPA 1998 and carries a very large fine and/or prison sentence. This person must be reported direct to the practice manager and the ICO at the same time, but be prepared to stand your corner as this kind of thing can often cause bad feeling locally...

Hi all,

thank you for all of your advice. I went in and spoke to the Practice Manager today, she was able to spare me a minute then and there which was great. Trouble is she was of no help whatsoever. She kept telling me that she is not able to discuss maters with me because it would be a breach of confidentiality !!!!! Basically if a complaint is made it needs to come from the patient.

I now have to consider wether or not to tell my friend what has happened.