When can Bailiffs charge an attendance to remove goods fee?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i have a PNC which was for £82. i have filed a stat dec out of time but this was refused so i have applied to have the decision reviewed by a district judge.

I have had one visit from a bailiff who simply posted a letter through the letter box. The letter said that they want £418.70 in total for a £82 parking ticket.

When i called the bailiff they said that the had done the following work:

1. sent a letter

2. attended the address

3. attended the address

I dispute 1. as no letter was received and also 2. a someone is always at home an no visit was made and no letter put through the letter box.

The bailiff also said when i spoke to him that he is going to visit the property again and that the total will go up to £580 - over £160 for a visit!

I have asked the bailiff to give me a break down of what the charge for letters and attendance - i am waiting for a response.

I have read that they can only charge £11.20 for a letter plus vat and then £28 plus vat per visit to the address up to a maximum of 3 visits - but this applies to attendance to levy but not attendance to remove goods. i anticipate that the bailiff will say that they attended to the property twice not to levy but to remove goods - for which it appears that they can change what they want as long as the charge is 'reasonable'. i have read somewhere that bailiffs can not change an attendance to remove goods fee without first levying goods, but i can not find any legislation or cases that support this. what i therefore need to know is

1. is it correct that a bailiff can not charge an attendance to remove goods fee without first attending to levying goods i.e

2. if this is correct what is the legislation /rules/ regulations/ cases that support this

3. Can a bailiff attend the property to levy goods, charge a levy fee but on the same visit remove goods and also charge an attendance for removal fee?

4. are there any rules that clearly set out the process that a bailiff must go through?

5. Can a bailiff attend the property with the intention of removing goods when his does not know whether there are any goods in the property that he can remove and still charge a attendance to remove fee for this?

answers /comments will be appreciated. Thanks

Don't think he can attend to remove without attending and securing a levy. As for a plain attendance (unspecified) fee added in somewhere, not allowed either imo

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

....i have read somewhere that bailiffs can not change an attendance to remove goods fee without first levying goods, but i can not find any legislation or cases that support this.....

This thread might be worth a read "Attending with a vehicle with a view to......."

It has useful links to LGO report/s and other threads on the same theme, although details council tax rather than parking tickets.

EDIT:

Link to same LGO report on that thread

Edited by outlawla