Barlcays credit check for contactless debit card without my knowledge

rstevenson94
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I opened my account was Barclays in April, the account was a young persons one as I was under 18, later on in that month once I turned 18, I went into branch and upgraded my account to the Current Account Plus. I had already got my standard debit card and all my details and my works pay going into this account.

From various TV adverts, posters, and their online banking website I seen that they had a contactless card which seemed pretty cool to me as I just had the standard one.

I went into my local branch to enquire and the cashier said that my existing card would be auomatically stopped and I would have to wait 2-5 days on the new one arriving, I declined as I was going on holidays in a few days and feared it would not be there in time.

Then about a month later or so I was in branch lodging cash and mentioned it again, the girl asked the personal banker and he said to write down my account number and sort code along with some other number from the computer and he would order me it that day and I would receive it soon. Over a month passed and till no card.

Yesterday when I went into branch to lodge a cheque, I mentioned this to another cashier and she called the personal banker who remembered that he had done it for me. After the phone call the cashier rudely stated that I had been credit scored and failed in front of other customers. I asked her why I had been credit scored for debit card and this was very odd, she wouldn't agree so I left.

Once I thought about it, I realised they had credit scored me without my knowledge or permission. If they had of made me aware of the credit scoring process for a simple debit card I would have declined.

I do not have an adverse history or anything, I just do not have much due to my age. I do although have a capital one credit card and Vodafone sim only contract from May which have both been paid on time.

I rang the Barclays team and they agreed that I had been declined for a contactless debit card and they had credit searched me. I am amazed that I could be declined for a debit card, as all I could spend is what I have in my account? whenever I told the person I had not been aware that I would have been credit checked, he realised that Barclays had done something wrong and put me onto the customer relations team or something instead of debit card enquiries. The girl in this team basically said that I failed and that was it, but she could push this complaint higher if I wanted (although she sounded like she didn't want too) I agreed to do it as I feel like they are acting on my behalf and accessing my personal credit report without my permission? she did admit this shouldn't have happened and this will be brought up in that branch as it cannot happen.

I have no heard anything back yet from this next team, what do yous think I should expect? Have they done wrong, I just want to know what I should be saying to them on the phone whenever they do call?

Am I silly for getting so annoyed for them doing this? It was something silly that I just thought, 'that looks cool, I'll have that,' sort of mentality.

I am still a college student, but work part time during school months earning a decent wage, and earn a full time wage over summer months. I am in a good financial position for being 18 with 700+ plus coming into my account monthly and never once went into an unauthorised overdraft, etc.

Next year I am going to uni and am seriously considering using another bank for my student account. They seem very dishonest and uncaring to me.

I do have multiple credit checks on my profile, but no missed payments etc, but its my own money i'd be spending.

Most debit cards allow 'offline' transactions, that is to say the card doesn't require retailers' machines to contact the bank for every transaction to be authorised. Because this could allow you to go overdrawn, they credit check for these cards.

The actual check falls off your credit record after 3 months so I wouldn't get too worried about it unless you're about to apply for other things. As for being refused, they don't have to say why.

You're right though - they should have made clear that your application would require a credit check.

I guess if you wish, you could make a formal complaint to the head office you would need to mark you letter that it is a complaint, else it simply wont be dealt with.

They would have 8 weeks to resolve the situation to your satisfaction or provide you with a final response letter when you could then take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Sadly, you are learning a harsh lesson, that banks simply dont like and have no respect for their customers!!

It is my understanding that the Co-op are introducing the contactless card, although personally.. I would be a little wary of them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi RS and welcome to CAG

You will have to get used to the way the banks work these days, I'm afraid.

You could complain about this although I really doubt you will get anywhere by doing so.

Learn from this and make sure you know exactly what you are agreeing to at every stage of your dealings with banks. Sounds like you have your finances under control and your head screwed on.

Instead of spending time on a complaint, do some research to see what bank you would rather go with.

If you decide to switch, make sure you end your relationship with Barclays properly and don't just leave the account with a low or zero balance. Chances are that, if you do this, they'll find some charges to add to the a/c and you'll be landed with heaps of a/c default charges.

Good luck ! :wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)