Impounded car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was stopped by the police the other day for having no tax (the tax ran out the day before, but I had applied for new tax online, it just hadn't arrived yet), so I explained to the police man that I have applied for it, he then phoned the dvla, they said they had no information on me applying for it so the officer got my car impounded.

I then phoned up the dvla very angry as they had taken my money for the tax so how did they have no information, the dvla then told me that they had never received a call from anyone that day about my car and that they could see that I had taxed my car a few days before, so basically the police officer lied and he never phoned them as he was guessing that I hadn't done it.

Before the police man took my car, he told me that he if I prove that I did apply for the tax then I would get all 260 back that I payed to get my car out, but when I went there to get my money back, they only gave me 160.

So im now 100 down, my car should never have been taken away from me as it was taxed, and it ruined my day as I had no car.

I don't know what I should do, I have already put a complaint in about the officer, but I know nothing will happen about that, I just want my money back as it should never have happened and I cant afford to loose 100.

You write a letter (recorded) of complaint to the Chief and tell them you want the balance within 7 days or you will issue a summons.

If nothing comes of your complaint you should escalate it even going as far as the ipcc

Edited by Conniff

Technically you were guilty of failure to display which can attract a £100 fine but it's disgraceful that the police seized your car for being 1 day out. I've heard of a few cases where police have stopped people for being a couple of days over with their tax or MOT but in all cases they've been sensible and given the driver 7 days to produce their docs at a police station. As Conniff said complain to the chief in the strongest possible terms.