Admiral Insurance Problem

Lukehac
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've been directed here by a good friend. I am having an issue with Admiral Car insurance and am hoping you all can advise me on what to do.

A couple of years ago I had just started a new job and got given a company van. In my first week I was pulled over by police when going into Clacket Lane services as they were doing spot checks and told me I had two illegal tyres. They only fined me for one but also gave me penalty points for it as well.

Because I was a bit naive I didn't think I had to say that I had points on my licence because of a work van I didnt declare them. However its only this year where my sister has just come back from travelling that she advised me that my insurance was void if I didnt declare them so I did. Admiral have said that because this happened two years ago and I didn't declare them before that I am liable for a back-dated charge for the previous two years which comes to £309.66.

I actually cancelled my renewal after this as I hunted around and got a lot cheaper quote, but they are now saying that I am still liable for this charge. I know I am more than likely the guilty party here, but I just wanted to check if I do have to pay or not.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Luke

I think that you have to find out whether, had you made a claim, they would have honoured the policy. If the woujld not have done then I don't really see that they can enforce the extra charge.

On the other hand I suppose that they could inform the police that you were driving uninsured.

I think that everyone needs to understand that you are obliged by law to disclose any factors which might materially affect the risk - and licence points are certainly one of those factors.

Not having done so is tantamount to driving uninsured. this can have extreme consequences for the victim of an accident and also for the uninured driver.

It is a very serious business.

Surprised by the extra amount involved. Over £300 for 2 years backdated loading for a 3 point penalty seems an awful lot. Technically they can ask you to pay the relevant amount, but I think you need to ask for a full breakdown of how the amount has been calculated. Sounds like they have made a mistake and they need interogate their systems. As a guestimate, I would have thought the extra amount would have been around £100 for the 2 years.

It is not unheard of Insurers IT systems getting calculations wrong in regard to backdating such elements. They need to look at what loading they would have applied for the loading and to manually calculate what the extra amount would have been.

If you don't pay, then I suppose that they could send it for debt collection, but I doubt they would void the policy or inform the Police about you being uninsured or apply any black mark against you.

Query the calculation, ask for a breakdown. Be prepared to negotiate the amount and if you cannot resolve don't hesitate in making a complaint with the FOS, if Admiral are not helpful. You have made a mistake, but Admiral must treat you fairly.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks all for the quick replies. They did say that they would honour the policy if I had an accident. I'll attempt to query the calculation and see what they say. I will report back to keep you informed.

Thanks again.