Light hearted thread... When did Yoghurt lose it's "h"?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The thread says it all... when I was a kid, it was always spelled "yoghurt" but now it's only ever spelled "Yogurt"

The "o" in the new spelling should be "Oh" as it has a consonant, then a vowel following it, making the American pronunciation correct.

Just a thaught, and maybe some lighter discussion than the other BG threads at the moment :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Oh I love the way Americans say Yoghurt!!! :oops:

It's like many things now Locutus - language is changing, and quite rapidly! Before we know it, text talk will be the absolute norm in every part of life! I'm far from great at the English language myself, but I love reading and language - so try my best to give it the respect it deserves!

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

Language is constantly evolving, and "English" is a mish mash of lots of other languages. The way we talk today, we would not be understood clearly 100 years ago. Every generation alters their dialect from previous generations. the word "Yoghurt" is derived from Indian roots I believe, just like pajamas and bungalow (contrary to my childhood theory that a builder got board and said "I can't be bothered with a 2nd floor, lets "Bung a low" roof on this one :p)

Still, I cannot pinpoint just when the "h" disappeared. I've recently noticed it gone, and I remember it definitely had one.... :???:

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar