compensation for removal of flooring by gasworks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are having new gas pipes put in are road and we were informed today that because are meter is old and a 3 quarter pipe we will have to have the new meter put outside are property.

The problem we have is that the gasmen have to be able to connect the pipe to the new meter which means pulling up are laminate flooring in are hallway and maybe the floorboards.

The laminate once pulled up will not be able to be refitted which will leave us with no flooring, just floorboards.

I have dogs so i do not want them walking on floorboards as they could get splinters in their pads.

I am also on benefits due to long term sickness so can not afford to buy new flooring.

We have not asked for new pipes so this is not being done by choice.

My husband has offered to remove the laminate to help the gasmen out and because we have dogs and if the gasmen had to remove it we would have no secure place to keep the dogs while they are doing it as all the doors down stairs will need to be open, i can not put the dogs upstairs as i will not be able to get them back down stairs to go in to the garden as we will have no flooring in the hallway if they also pull up the floorboards.

What i wanted to know please is as the laminate can not be replaced in the hallway are we entitled to compensation to cover the cost of having to buy new flooring?

Thanks

Edited by citizenB
spacing

If the work being carried out is compulsory work then you should be entitled to have anything disturbed by the work put back the way it was.

If this means new laminate flooring then so be it. You need to speak to someone at BG to find out what they will cover.

Thanks, i sent a email to southern gasworks as they are the ones doing the work.

I have tried to find any info on it but everything i find just says they will reinstate anything they remove and nothing about what happens if they cant.

I have several dogs, we are also in the process of having flooring laid in the kitchen and have floorboards at the moment and we lived with nothing but floorboards in the lounge for several months until we could afford a carpet. The dogs were fine. Dogs walk round outside with no protection for their pads because they do not need it and are very tough, so floorboards are not going to be a problem. If necessary some carpet offcuts would help. The gas board will have to sort it out, i wouldnt worry.

I have several dogs, we are also in the process of having flooring laid in the kitchen and have floorboards at the moment and we lived with nothing but floorboards in the lounge for several months until we could afford a carpet. The dogs were fine. Dogs walk round outside with no protection for their pads because they do not need it and are very tough, so floorboards are not going to be a problem. If necessary some carpet offcuts would help. The gas board will have to sort it out, i wouldnt worry.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I would not be worried about normal floorboards but these are very old and do have splinters sticking up out of them,some also have large broken bits of wood sticking up too, before we laid the laminate we had just floorboards for a while and my yorkie ( Zac ) got a splinter stuck in between his pads, he is also blind and the floorboards have largish gaps between them which he has got his paw stuck in before.

I have had dogs for over 29 years and if there is a splinter trust me Zac will find it :roll::-) not only that but being blind he will not be able to safely walk around the hallway or get to the kitchen without tripping and falling over floorboards or getting his foot stuck between them which is why we put the laminate down in the first place as carpet would of just showed all the lumps and bumps. :-)

Yes i know what you mean! Our kitchen was the same and we are having to board it out first due to the floorbards being awful. One of ours has very little use of his back legs so he toois a little afflicted. Ima pretty sure the gas board will sort ot out but i would make sure you get it in writing first if you can. Good luck. :wink:

I'd just like to quickly say.

As much as you think you're helping the contractors out by removing the laminate flooring yourself, personally, I'd leave it as it is now. They could argue that the flooring wasn't there when they carried out the work so may not put it right/compensate you.

If it's just in the hallway, maybe some of that carpet protector vinyl stuff should help prevent Zac from getting splinters or his paws stuck in the gaps until the flooring is relaid/replaced

Regards

BM

It never rains but it pours...

Agree with Op, leave everything where it is. They will only cover the cost of replacing what they take up, if someone else take the flooring up then it's not down to them to put it back down or replace it if it's gets broken.