I decided against DRO... what now?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I recently went to see an advisor from the c.a.b. for advice on my finances. The advisor suggested a DRO. I provided some basic information on my income and debts and we got a rough idea of my expenses and disposable income. The adivsor asked me to sign a letter approving them as an intermediary and said he would write my creditors a letter.

I was planning on going to the Citizens adivice bureau on an appointment. so they could help me fill out the dro application form and get a more accurate picture of my finances. I decided not to go ahead with this so I called cab to cancel the appointment and not go ahead with the application/fee.

Yesterday i received a credit report and credit summary in the mail, i don't know if i should just discard it or not. The advisor also said on the telephone that the creditors are still going to come to my house. Should i notify them i did not pursue the dro? should I expect a letter from them? i am not pursuing the dro at all..

thanks

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

i would be surprised if anyone at cab said debt collectors would be coming to your house.

Courtesy says you should write to the cab and thank them for their assistance and that you have decided against it.

I hope you haven't decided to go to a company to sort it out, your debt will double and they take half the payments each month for themselves.

Why would creditors come to your house? They have no rights to simply turn up on the doorstep without appointments and presumably you wont be agreeing to any of those.

If they had been advised that you were entering a DRO, then I would say, yes you need to let them know that you arent. They will then resume their harassment and you will have to enter into negotiations again.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello, I recently went to see an advisor from the c.a.b. for advice on my finances. The advisor suggested a DRO. I provided some basic information on my income and debts and we got a rough idea of my expenses and disposable income. The adivsor asked me to sign a letter approving them as an intermediary and said he would write my creditors a letter.

I was planning on going to the Citizens adivice bureau on an appointment. so they could help me fill out the dro application form and get a more accurate picture of my finances. I decided not to go ahead with this so I called cab to cancel the appointment and not go ahead with the application/fee.

Yesterday i received a credit report and credit summary in the mail, i don't know if i should just discard it or not. The advisor also said on the telephone that the creditors are still going to come to my house. Should i notify them i did not pursue the dro? should I expect a letter from them? i am not pursuing the dro at all..

thanks

Hi

What made you change your mind / have second thoughts or had you not really decided?

How are you now going to deal with your creditors / debts?

The CAB should have explained other options, for example a DMP and the recovery action / options open to creditors / collection agencies in general.

If you put up details of your circumstances (SOA) there may be people on here who can help you further, your choice though.

Hi

What made you change your mind / have second thoughts or had you not really decided?

How are you now going to deal with your creditors / debts?

The CAB should have explained other options, for example a DMP and the recovery action / options open to creditors / collection agencies in general.

If you put up details of your circumstances (SOA) there may be people on here who can help you further, your choice though.

I didn't really decide... we just went through rougly what i had coming in and going out.. i was meant to go back around a week later to the actual CAB office to fill in some application? that they were going to help me with...and said they would charge me 90£ if i decided. I called cab to cancel the appointment and they thats fine they wouldn't do anythign else...

I looked through my statements at home anyway.. .and didn't really meet all the criteria.. so basically i have no problem paying everything. i have issues and think they were trying to help..

if i do hear from the creditors i'll just tell them i decided against it and didn't even complete the dro application. I will continue paying my statements as normal.

Edited by utica

Hi uitca

Logically, something must have made you go there in the first and many folk continue payments they cannot sustain thereby digging a deeper hole of debt, charges and interest.

CAB's advice can be variable (each location is a separate charity); have you checked this out with Nationaldebtline, whom I found supportive and a Godsend?

love

vic

Hi uitca

Logically, something must have made you go there in the first and many folk continue payments they cannot sustain thereby digging a deeper hole of debt, charges and interest.

CAB's advice can be variable (each location is a separate charity); have you checked this out with Nationaldebtline, whom I found supportive and a Godsend?

love

vic

Hi Vic

No organistaion is perfect including National Debtline and other charities for that matter, trust me Ive seen some shockers.

I didn't really decide... we just went through rougly what i had coming in and going out.. i was meant to go back around a week later to the actual CAB office to fill in some application? that they were going to help me with...and said they would charge me 90£ if i decided. I called cab to cancel the appointment and they thats fine they wouldn't do anythign else...

I looked through my statements at home anyway.. .and didn't really meet all the criteria.. so basically i have no problem paying everything. i have issues and think they were trying to help..

if i do hear from the creditors i'll just tell them i decided against it and didn't even complete the dro application. I will continue paying my statements as normal.

Hi

Thanks for the reply

A few links below that may help you in the future maybe

https://debtremedy.cccs.co.uk/start.aspx

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/

http://www.cashflow.uk.net/

Hi Wintry

That (the penultimate post) appears to be uncharacteristically organizationally defensive; a system is defined by what it does and by implication similarly the organisation of (or behind) it. One can only take what one finds; hence my preference for CAG ...

x

v

Hi vic

Things are not always what they appear to be and you should never assume is my motto (a now retired District Judge of some formidable repute once learned me that the hard way and it is a lesson I have never forgot, good man that District Judge, top respect, he finished me off with the line " Im the law in this court, not you" and guess what..he was right) You see my head was once even bigger than it is now:)

Im all for choice and a level playing field and we must always remember that circumstances can be and are different on occasions

Still luv you though vic:)

Hi

Just to add vic

I also like the CAG site, they have always been fair with me and have let the debates ride, just how it should be in my opinion.

Anyway vic, time to put another Columbo DVD in, see who he nails in this one:)

Edited by Wintry

Hi Wintry

I obviously disagree about the egocentric personification of law wherein lies the tyranny of the waterboard.

However, I quite like Columbo; a bit like a classical Japanese play where you know the plot in advance and the opposite of the deus ex machina at the Globe.

x

v

Hi Wintry

I obviously disagree about the egocentric personification of law wherein lies the tyranny of the waterboard.

However, I quite like Columbo; a bit like a classical Japanese play where you know the plot in advance and the opposite of the deus ex machina at the Globe.

x

v

Hi vic

Good stuff again here, I like the bit about the tyranny of the waterboard especially.

The Columbo episode this time was the one with Leonard Nimmoy (Star Trek fame) as the doctor. A classic scene in this is where Peter Falk is sat talking to the friend of the deceased and cannot make head nor tale of what she is talking about but eventually gets some of the drift - I get this type of thing on occasions with colleagues & associates of mine...honest:)

x

Edited by Wintry

Hi W

Leonard may have better ears than Peter whom believes than he cannot hear what the (female) friend is saying; Peter may be suffering from simple syllogism syndrome which in turn can cause an allergic alliterative itch.

I've just had a letter from Arden so am adjusting my mindless set.

x

v