Tax credits-single claim investigation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I know lots of people on this site have been through this, but the threads got confusing and as i am panicing, decided to start my own.

Got a letter today to say that they were looking at my 2011-12 single claim and they had used credit reports to say that they thought a MR XXXXx lived at the address.

I am holding my hands up to this overisight on my part, i changed the council tax etc, but didnt do this one.

They want me to call them before 21-07-12, has anyone else been in this situation? shall i just admit my mistake over the phone and say i will pay back what is owed etc? or shall i write a letter??? please help!!

I will loose my job if i get prsecuted or a conviction as i work with children.

any advice would be grateful.

thanks

Hi Welcome to CAG,

I think your best course of action will

be to write to them and explain how

the mistake came about, phoning is not

a good idea as you need a paper record

that you have faced up to the problem!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Do i just hold my hands up in the letter and offer to pay back whats owed, or should i just admit the mistake at this point?

there seems to be alot of conflicting evidence on this ??

do i only offer inforamtion for the years they are asking about??

thanks

I will loose my job if i get prsecuted or a conviction as i work with children.

If and I mean if, you were ever prosecuted and got a conviction for this it would make no difference to your working with children. It is not the kind of conviction they are looking for in regards to children. So that is one thing less to worry about.

Hi I will loose my job if i get prsecuted or a conviction as i work with children.

any advice would be grateful.thanks

My understanding is that the HMRC are less trigger happy about bringing criminal charges, as opposed to the DWP/LAs, although I couldn't comment specifically about your case as I don't know the full details and am not up to date with the regulations surrounding TCs. Some basic guidance can be found here: http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/tax/tax_credits/9316.html

I would however suggest you speak to your local Welfare Rights (or failing this C.A.B.) as in my area I was told they see cases like this all the time, and you can give them a better picture of events as they unfolded/get informed advice as to what to do now.

• 1 month later...

Just wondered how you got on with your letter or phone call. I too have received a letter stating that they have information that someone-else may be living at my address and also Mrxxxxx!! . They want me to call them by 3rd September stating why I haven't claimed as a joint couple if in fact I am living with some-one.

The letter indicates it for 2011-12 claim. I'm really worried about phoning them. Firstly because I too should have informed them of my change of circumstances, I have no excuse I admit to that and obviously intend to admit that and pay back the money. Secondly because I just don't know what they are going to ask me. Do they want exact dates? will they want you to provide information for other years?