Birmingham Midshires ERC ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the assumption that the courts in NI operate in very much the same manner as English ones, then you will have the great benefit of standard disclosure - this will be enough to counter any worries about costs - which are only an issue if you lose the case...! I presume you're not thinking that would happen?

Let me know how the NI courts operate in terms of that value and I will advise further.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I'm on the point of issuing a claim(my first on moneyclaim) and would appreciate any input from current litigants ,if there are any yet....

Dashgnail has a judgement by default against Mortgages PLC and zoot used this but cannot find her thread at moment.

We entered a contract with the defendant mortgage provider in July 04 which was conducted on their standard terms and conditions. We are claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of a redemption penalty charge in Oct 05. This charge relates to our breach of contract in that we terminated the contract before the agreed period. The defendant's charges for our breach are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law as establshed in Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 and affirmed in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). [ delete In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.delete]

We have repeatedly asked the defendant to justify their charges but they have declined to do so.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

many thanks gizmo-that'll come in very handy.

A judgement by default already, eh??Seems like we may have good grounds after all.....

I am sure we have - how are you doing with Citi I received a stuipid defence from them today.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi Lick the wall,

You'll probably find the other needs trimming down quite a bit. This is what I used and just about fits when you add the standard bit about contractual interest.

I am claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of a redemption penalty charge in Feb 06 on account no xxxx. This charge relates to my breach of contract in that I terminated the contract before the agreed period. The defendant's charge for our breach is a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as it is contrary to common law as established in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. Further, as a disproportionate penalty it is invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). I have repeatedly asked the defendant to justify their charges but they have declined to do so.

Best of luck

Zoot

should I actually lodge 2 separate claims-one for the £2989 switching fee in 2000,and one for £3250 for the final redmption in 2004?

Do I then run the risk of having them combined?

There is a fair sum of money involved if I run both of them in together at the £5K limit.....

Are you absolutely sure that it was the same account number throughout? This does make things more difficult not only for combining the claims but also for claiming the switching fee was a penalty for breach rather than for purely a service.

To get around the issue of combining the two claims you can do one after the other, although, this may run a risk that the 2nd claim will be struck out altogether for abuse of process ie you should have combined them initially. If you do go down this route it would be wise to start with the redemption fee rather than the switching fee as this is the stronger case.

If you combine them you are likely to end up in the fast track and I'm sure the know the costs risks associated, combined with the fact that the switching fee is not clear cut may leave you open to paying part costs.

However, if you do combine them, the chances of actually going to court may be quite slim (although as of yet still no definitive answers as to whether the Mortgage company's are going to defend in court) so it may well be that they cave into them both without you incurring any actual costs.

Ultimately the choice is yours

Zoot

right-I've gonbe back to the reply they sent which included the "full and final settlement" offer,and I really should have studied this more closely-but this is what it says-

"on 17 October 2000,your account was switched to operate on mortgage product ABM-standard variable rate for life with a cashback incentive.It was at this point that the early repayment charges applicable to your previous product,as opposed to a "switching fee",were applied to your mortgage,totalling £2989...."

I think that settles it-£5000 claim it is then!!

all the best to you too Dayglo-who are you taking on?

Hello Team. . Lickthewall, how did you get around the £5000 limit on the moneyclaim?.. did you split your claim?..

ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Brilliant stuff guys, well done for taking the bull by the horns and going for this. I'm just about to start my ERC claim for almost £4k, I reckon all we need is one successful claim and the floodgates will open.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!