Paid to RCS, unable to join again

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

Joined my local gym, missed a few payments and was ordered to pay over £350 to Revenue Collection Services (around 2008). After agreeing to pay this extortionate amount, which was paid over 2years ago, I'm now unable to join the gym again because the company haven't contacted the gym to say the debt has been paid off; and that means the "unpaid" status remains of the gyms systems.

Ive phoned both companies who say they will contact each other to see what has happened but every time I am promised a reply "ASAP", I am left waiting for weeks on end with nothing. Its frustrating because when I had my gym membership, my wage was peanuts so I couldn't afford it, but now that I have a stable wage, and knowledge of how to go about signing gym contracts, I want to join again.

If anyone could tell me how to go about my business, whether I should phone them again or write a letter perhaps? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Fizsparky and welcome to CAG

Keep everything in writing only, by letter or email. Avoid phone calls completely because :-

1. You don't have a record of what's said by either party and the gym or their admin people can deny anything they want.

2. You will normally get nothing except frustrated when discussing matters with the gym or admin company.

As a precaution, you should check your credit records, to make sure no adverse markers appear about this matter.

Of the £350 that you paid in total to RCS, was any of this admin charges, late payment fees, etc. If so, you should quantify the amount of such fees and seek a refund of them. Let us know about this BEFORE sending the letter below. You need to know the amount of any admin charge and the date you paid it.

I suggest you write to the gym (and copy to RCS) as follows (after you have told us about the amount of admin charges) :-

Dear sir or madam,

FORMAL COMPLAINT

When I tried to join the gym on xxdate, I was told I could not as there were unpaid arrears relating to my previous period of membership.

This is not true and I can confirm that all amounts demanded by CRS were paid in full.

Your records are not only incorrect but they are defamatory.

There appears to be confusion between yourselves and RCS as to how and when this will be corrected. I have been told several times by both the gym and by RCS that the matter will be investigated but neither of you have contacted me as promised.

I now give you formal notice that I require this matter to be properly investigated and your records corrected to reflect that no arrears exist.

If this is not done within 14 days, I will take further action to remedy the matter and this may include court action.

Furthermore, I now understand that the admin charges made by RCS for late and/or missed payments are penalty charges which are not enforceable at law. I will therefore be seeking a full refund of any such charges. This matter will be dealt with separately.

I look forward to hearing that your records have been accurately updated within 14 days, so that I can rejoin the gym.

Yours faithfully,

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I remember having documents they sent me requesting the payments but I don't seem to be able to find these right now. Also, yes I was told of admin charges involved in these and thought these were just part of the payment and didn't think about not paying these after they threatened with court action, all seems bit stupid now that I didn't take advice sooner.

The only "evidence" of payment that I have are the bank statements of having paid the full amount in 3 installations. Surely this could be of some use?

Cheers, Fiz.

If you can't find their demands that set out what was allegedly owed and how much of that was admin fees, you could write to them requesting a summary of your membership fees account with them.

Do this before using my suggested letter above.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)