Home Learning College and Clarity

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

in Feb 2010 I had just come out of a really bad and abusive relationship and I was working, but I wanted something new.

I saw an ad for HLC and took a look at their website.

I saw that they offered courses for webdesign and I sent away some details to request more information.

Instead I got a sales woman coming over and being in the state that I was back then I foolishly signed up for CIW 1 & 2 at the total sum of £2300.

I wanted to sign up for one course but the woman said that they offered a package for both courses at a "cheaper" price.

by August 2011 I had moved to a new city,

worked at a new job for a year and was making plans to move to Canada.

By that point I had already paid £1734 - well above the price for the one course I HAD received all the material for

(they only send you the materials and books for the second course when you pass the first).

I sent an e-mail to HLC saying that I was moving away to Canada and seeing as I had already paid for the one course I'd taken I would like to cancel the second course.

I was told that I had to pay for the second course (apparently even if I haven't received the material for it).

I (foolishly) cancelled the direct debit as by that time I had done all the Google research and seen what kind of company HLC really are

and was frankly discusted that I had let myself get tricked into paying that kind of money when I could have saved it instead.

My plans to move to Canada fell through due to various reasons and instead I received another job and moved to another city.

I get paid more, but this city is expensive and I often have trouble making ends meet throughout the month.

Last week I received a letter from Clarity with a reference number stating that I need to call them as soon as possible.

I know that it's about HLC, because I pay my other bills just fine.

Problem is:

1. I am a coward and often have issues with facing these kind of problems.

2. Despite working full-time I have trouble making ends meet every month and that in itself is depressing since I have a student loan from my birth country to start paying off.

3. I guess it's my pride speaking but can they really demand money for nothing? I have not taken the second course, I have not received material for the second course. It feels a bit like paying for milk but walking out of the store with nothing.

Can I argue against this debt, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks and sorry for the long post. This has just added to the depression I already have due to finances.

Edit: I would assume that they've added some insane interest as well for the months I haven't paid, which just depresses me more.

pers i'd ignore them

no DCA has any legal powers

if you have nothng for the second course

then i'd be inclined to write ot HLC and say PROVE IT.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...