Logbook/Tax advice

BenNovice
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I would be grateful for some advice as i know nothing about cars. A couple of weeks ago i purchased a car from ebay! The seller had the logbook which he signed in front of me and i completed the front page with my name/address etc. The seller said he would post the logbook,as its his responsibility? I was given the small green bottom section,new owners slip? The part i recieved enables me,with the MOT and Insurance to tax the vehicle at the end of the month when the tax expires. I just wanted to know if: 1) That was the correct proceedure. 2)If the seller does not send the logbook to dvla(which can happen i've read),when i tax the car at the end of the month will dvla automatically send me a new logbook,or as i can only use the new owners slip once,will i have to apply for one. Thankyou in advance.

1) Yes it is the correct procedure

2) If you don't receive a new V5C in about 4 weeks you can apply for a new one direct yourself. If you submit the green slip on the applicatio you will not have to pay a fee for the new one (normally £25)

Thankyou guys....... So i will use the 'new owners slip' i've got to renew the tax at the end of the month. Then if i have'nt recieved the logbook say 2 weeks after that,i can complete a 'form' and send my 'owners slip' with the form to dvla,and i wont have to pay the £25(i think thats what you meant crem). I just assumed that when i use the 'slip' to buy the tax i would automatically recieve a logbook without the need to apply. Hey thanks.

I went to SORN a car recently (its been SORNed for years) but strangely now showed its old address (from 2008 after being sorned each year since 2009) which would seem to be impossible.

To 'correct the address after two months of a move' there's a £25 fee. So this might also be a new deadline for sorting a missing logbook, as DVLA now seem to be running in 'milk' mode.

As BenNovice is a "New keeper" and will be able to evidence this by providing the new keeper's supliment, he can't be "milked" for the £25 fee as he has done nothing wrong. i.e. he was never expected as new keeper to send or notify the DVLA of anything whenhe bought the car.

Just to finally clarify... In 2 weeks time i'll take my mot,insurance and 'new owners slip' to the post office so that i am able to retax the car. At this time if i've not recieved the logbook,am i right to say there's a 'form' i can complete and send with it the 'new owners slip' to dvla who will send me a logbook free of charge? Thanks(sorry i'm a car numpty)