Sheriff officers and vulnerable people?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are there any laws or rules in place when it comes to protecting vulnerable people and the doorstep visits of the sheriff officers? Can you 'register' yourself as a vulnerable person somehow?

Can you direct me to where I can read about this?

If you can have an advocate to help you to fill out forms and assist you in important legal/official correspondence do you have any sense of entitlement when it comes to home visits? A pre warning for example or a 3rd party there to assist you or help you to discuss your case or situation? (I understand a pre warning might make some people scarper but seriously I have agoraphobia, there is no way I would leave the house for their benefit lol)

As I stated in my previous topic I suffer from an anxiety disorder, I also have agoraphobia and depression. Because of this I cannot work and need assistance getting to weekly therapy session etc Being made to stand on my doorstep for 10 minutes in my pyjamas is much scarier that it would be for most people, no matter who was at the door but there is no way that I would let two strange men into my house either (rape trauma, paranoia etc) :violin:

I also have difficult using the phone which is why I have communicated via post which has been problematic (although considering anything discussed by phone has to be confirmed in writing anyway it seems just as likely to lead to miscommunication plus I do not know how to record my calls so I wouldn't trust them anyway until I have it all in writing.)

Any answers, thoughts, experiences you can share or links would be great thank you (sorry if too much info, I just thought I'd be honest)

Hi and welcome to CAG, You have came to the right place for help, also you should discuss this with your stress counsillor, i have notified site team to assist you, in the meantime here is the link to the site letters templates page.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?20758-creditorsandDCAs-letterTemplates&budgetplanner

Hello there. There are lots of options that you could consider to prevent Sheriff Officers from attending. Please also bear in mind that it is unlikely that they'll want to take your belonings as that is a different process in Scotland. What debts do you have? We'll be able to let you know what your options are!

best wishes,

Seq.

They didn't try to come in they just issued me with a piece of paper with an additional fine. I would never let them in the door.

I have been paying off the debt (council tax) through scott and co every month for 5 years and have never missed a payment. I changed the amount I have been playing recently but have still been paying it off and I did inform them off this change 3 months ago and the money has went through, but they say that they didn't 'accept my offer' so I 'broke the agreement', even though I wasn't told this until the 31st May when they said I was in arrears and the first chance I could I contacted them to ask how that could be when the money has come out of my account. There was a slight delay in being able to contact them because I received their letter on a saturday and then there was the jubilee period. They sent the bailiffs 5 days after I received the warning letter, before they received my last letter asking why they had cancelled the payment plan. Every payment I have made has went towards my debt and I have had no written warning (despite them saying that they they sent one I have not received any)

I have even kept letters from 2010 and 2008 that they sent accepting my payment plan when I had to change it because of change of income etc so I know that they usually send a letter to confirm or refuse the offer, but if it came out of my account why would I think that there was a problem? I have given them my new details every time I have changed address, I have never tried to avoid it since I started to pay it back and they just don't care and treat you like a criminal.

How did you get on with CAB ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Scotland is not as bad as England- the Scottish Government have tightened things up in the past few years to make it harder for people to intimidate

You need to find out what has happened, send a letter (use proof of postage - free) to prove you sent it.

If you are paying then you are in a strong position

On a side note- Scottish Councils are required to provide debt advice for free. Call your local council and ask for help