Re-assessment for PIP.

Guest amianne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest amianne

Hello

My dad will be 65 in June 2013. I have been doing a lot of reading up on this new benefit, PIP and I must admit his fears seem to be founded somewhat.

He was awarded many years ago HRM and MRC. I am not so much worried about the care aspect as he will clearly 'walk' through any re-assessment as I am with the mobility part.

He was awarded his DLA because he suffers from Peripheral Arterial Disease (Thrombosis of both legs), Type 1 diabetes, and spinal/hip problems. Put it simply he cannot (just not carry on through the pain barrier) walk (more like shuffle) more than 20 metres without having to stop due to the pain in his legs and both hips. At best he has accepted that he needs a walking stick, but refuses point blank to consider any other aid (says he is not a old fogey just yet!).

He has never been refused HRM despite a few reviews.

From what I read, given his problems, not being able to walk very far will not be sufficient, on it's own, with PIP to be awarded the Higher Rate. They seem to have added that he needs to be in a wheelchair as well!!

Is that correct?

He does not fit into the other part of getting about and planning a journey as his brain is far from being useless. If you tell him a town or a city he will tell you how to get there, what roads are best to use at a particular time and day/night. He is a one man GPS system!!!

If it is he looks to be losing his Motability car then. This will be a massive blow to both him and mum. There is absolutely no way that they can afford to buy a car and run it.

It also seems that he was born a few months too late to keep his DLA as he would have had to be 65 by April 2013.

On top of that his catagory is likely to be one of the first to be moved over and tested due to his age. although others appear to be given until 2016 before the re-assessments are finished.

My worry is that given what I read, he will be over 65 when they assess him for PIP and when he fails the test, he will not be able to reclaim it as he will be too old!!

Is that correct please?

If there is anything I have missed please tell me as he is worried sick over these changes and is at the moment threatening to tell the garage to come now and collect the damn car!!

Thanks for your help.

Guest amianne

Thankyou. yes that is what I read.

I also read that you had to be 65 as at April 2013.

Dad will still be 64, he won't be 65 until the June.

Or have I not understood things correctly?

Guest amianne

Thanks. Are you able to give me details where I can find this to be the case please?

I have taken this from the DWP website:

the requirements relating to reassessing DLA recipients

– this specifically looks at the rules relating to people aged 16–64 who will be in receipt of DLA in April 2013,

All of this is so confusing. Dad is hoping that they will leave him alone, but it seems that if you are 64 in April 2013, you will have to pass the new test.

I hope it isn't true either as it is likely that he won't even get the lower mobility rate.