State pension start date

concorde
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,I am hoping that somebody on the forum may be able to shed some light on a pension query.

I was 65 on 27th May 2012 which I asumed was my pesionable date

but I received a letter from the DWP to say that my pensionable start date will be the 1st of June 2012.

When I phoned the pensions service for an explanation they really could not give me an answer except that "that is the way it is"

and you and thousands of others are in the same situation,

why should I loose 3 days of my pension.

I am aware that the pension is payable a week in arrears but I have been told that I will still loose those 3 days who has my money?

For some reason we are told it is the first Monday after your birthday, no problem if you birthday is on Sunday but not so good if it's on Tuesday. Ok that's the way it goes (they say), and 7 days isn't that long, but hang on, we don't all have a golden pot or a gratuity that goes with the pension, so we have a week with nothing, that's what the pension people are brainwashed to believe is how it works.

A collegue of mine didn't want to wait until the following Monday as his qualifying birthday was on the Tuesday so a whole week of nothing. He rang them, he phoned them and he emailed them AND he got his pension from the day he was 65.

Go for it concorde, it might come after your first weeks pension has already been paid, but it can be done, I've seen it first hand. If you want some more details, I will email him for exactly what he said to them.

Found this;

The complex ruling is as follows :

Your "pay day" falls on the same weekday every time it is due and that weekday is dependent on the digits in your NI number - this is so that everyone does not get paid on the same day of the week and that the selection of that day is arbitrary. This is to avoid the entire senior citizen population without a bank account all queuing at the post office on the same day.

Your pension starts, not on your retirement day (as one would expect) but on the first payday after that. You are then paid for the first time, in arrears, on the following payday.

This means that if you are unlucky with the allocation of your payday then you can go for 6 days after your retirement date with no pension earned at all. You then have to wait a further month (if you are paid by BACS) for receipt of your first payment.

Gbarbm

The first payment of PC includes arrears for the first week/ odd days and then a week in advance if paid weekly.

If the Op is on benefits they will lose no benefit, their claim will close and paid up to date then PC will take over.

They then pay the arrears, odd days, and then a week in advance on the new payday.

I thought PC was pension credit?

Me too :-)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

That's brill, so when we die, how do we get our week in arrears payment ?

S

Who ever sends in the BD8 gets it :( next of kin.

The first payment will Include the odd days.

For people on benefit transferring over to pension then its an easier now, they keep the same payday, most benefits now are paid in arrears, and they can be paid pension weekly, fortnightly or monthly I think

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Thats the kind of answer I would have expected,why should I have to be out of pocket because my birthday fell on a Sunday this year,I did not get any joy out of the pension service when I phoned them all I was told was that's the way it works,so why should I be out of pocket.I do not think that they now the system and how it works they just follow the guide lines that they are given.Yes please give me more details if you can I would be most grateful.

Concorde, people here are doing their best to help you, the way the system works isn't their fault. If you don't understand what they're telling you, please ask.

Please try to lighten up a bit. :)

My best, HB

• Haha 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

For some reason we are told it is the first Monday after your birthday, no problem if you birthday is on Sunday but not so good if it's on Tuesday. Ok that's the way it goes (they say), and 7 days isn't that long, but hang on, we don't all have a golden pot or a gratuity that goes with the pension, so we have a week with nothing, that's what the pension people are brainwashed to believe is how it works.

A collegue of mine didn't want to wait until the following Monday as his qualifying birthday was on the Tuesday so a whole week of nothing. He rang them, he phoned them and he emailed them AND he got his pension from the day he was 65.

Go for it concorde, it might come after your first weeks pension has already been paid, but it can be done, I've seen it first hand. If you want some more details, I will email him for exactly what he said to them.

I would be most grateful for more info,why should I loose what I think is 5 days of my pension.

Concorde, people here are doing their best to help you, the way the system works isn't their fault. If you don't understand what they're telling you, please ask.

Please try to lighten up a bit. :)

My best, HB

You say lighten up,why,when I am being sent answers that are totally irrelevant to my original question.

We are using our time to try and help. I was merely trying to ascertain that as you where not on benefits, and would not therefore had the advantage of continuous payment, would your wages (or salary) in hand have covered the period. By knowing if there was a period where you would have been without money we could have guided you towards help.

If you feel that in trying to help you I have asked a question that is totaly irrelevent I apologise. Although I must say I fail to see why and how it had upset you so much.

In my case my wife carried on working past her pension start date, and to be honest did not notice whether or not she lost out. When she stopped working and had to claim pension credits they where paid from the day after she stopped working with no days lost.

Edited by count orlok

Customers who reach the Pension Credit qualifying age on or after 6 April 2010

If your customer reaches the Pension Credit qualifying age on or after 6 April 2010 they will normally get their Pension Credit either weekly, fortnightly or four weekly in arrears. Your customer’s entitlement will start on the first day of their first full benefit week following the date of application.

Paydays

A customer’s payday is determined by the last two digits of their National Insurance number. If the number is between:

• 00 and 19 their payday is Monday
  • 20 and 39 their payday is Tuesday
  • 40 and 59 their payday is Wednesday
  • 60 and 79 their payday is Thursday
  • 80 and 99 their payday is Friday

For example, if the last two digits of your customer’s National Insurance number are 58, their benefit week will begin on a Thursday and end on the following Wednesday. The day they get their first payment will be determined by the payment frequency they choose.

Any existing male Pension Credit customer under State Pension age on 5 April 2010 will continue to be paid in advance unless their Pension Credit entitlement ends before they reach State pension age.

There is a special rule for people who were getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance, immediately before they qualified for Pension Credit.

In this case, the entitlement will start, and your customer will be paid, from the first day of their Pension Credit award (if they were getting Income Support) or the date from which they applied for Pension Credit (if they were getting Jobseeker’s Allowance).

If you don't like the legislation that is currently in place then you can lobby your MP but that is about all you can do sorry.

We are using our time to try and help. I was merely trying to ascertain that as you where not on benefits, and would not therefore had the advantage of continuous payment, would your wages (or salary) in hand have covered the period. By knowing if there was a period where you would have been without money we could have guided you towards help.

If you feel that in trying to help you I have asked a question that is totaly irrelevent I apologise. Although I must say I fail to see why and how it had upset you so much.

In my case my wife carried on working past her pension start date, and to be honest did not notice whether or not she lost out. When she stopped working and had to claim pension credits they where paid from the day after she stopped working with no days lost.

My wife was in receipt of pension credits until I reached my pension date then that stopped,I was at work until 26th May so as a result of me leaving work we lost not only my wifes pension credits but also I lost out on several days of my pension.I do realise that your pension is paid in arrears but the lost days you do not get back and I want to know why you should lose them.

I have no idea why it works this way but it is the same with Child Benefit where that is only payable the Monday following the birth of the baby so great if baby on a Sunday but not great if baby is born on a Tuesday (not sure what happens if baby is born on the monday though :?:)

You can appeal the date but unless the legislation is changed it won't be upheld so best thing to do is to contact your MP and make you opinion and views known on this subject. If enough people do the same then maybe something can/will be done about it.