e.on reps - help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have received a final bill for electric from my old rented flat which i shared in march. The bill is in both our names but is sent to my address. only my address was given to e.on by the letting agent.

i have spoken to someone at e.on and explained that i will be sending a cheque for half of the outstanding balance and attempted to give them the address of my old flatmate. they refused claiming it is a third party dispute. i disagree as both our names are on the bill and therefore he is also a customer. they have given me 6 months to chase my friend to get the outstanding amount. this is not possible.

i am sending them a letter and enclosing a cheque. the letter asks you to contact the other named account holder for the remainder of the payment and to remove me from the account.

does this sound fair?

Hi ravesafe

I'm afraid, as both your names are on the account, you're both liable for the full amount of the final bill. We won't make a distinction as your personal arrangements for the utilities are none of our business.

If you send us a part payment, we'll continue to chase both people named on the account for the balance. I'm surprised, though, that we wouldn't take details of your former flatmates new address as we usually like as much information as possible about all those responsible for the energy used. Might be an idea to include these details in your letter.

Sorry I can't offer more comfort ravesafe.

Malc

Orphean, I do feel your response is really rude and out of order. Ravesafe obviously does have the other person's address, but there is clearly a reason why they cannot contact that person.

As people don't always understand the full practicalities of having an account of any kind in joint names, it is not unreasonable for them to feel that the other person is jointly responsible for the debt. Whilst people are living together, they make their arrangements to pay the bills and share the costs. When they part, obviously things are more likely to go pear-shaped.

What is very understandable about this is that ravesafe feels they've been held liable for the debt simply because the letting agent only forwarded their address to Eon, not that of the other person. Maybe they didn't have it at the time, maybe they didn't care.

What needs to be explained (as Malc has done) is that unfortunately, Eon can claim the debt against either named person on the account.

So, if the letting agency had sent the address of the other person instead, Eon would be chasing them, so ideally, there should have been an agreement as to who would take responsibility for paying the final bill and both parties put in their fair share.

If it is not possible for ravesafe to chase the other person for whatever reason (and there could be a very good reason), then they will have to pay the full outstanding amount.

I'd only add that, if ravesafe feels that they are going to have problems chasing the other person due to personal circumstances, that s/he may consider seeking advice to see if there is another way to approach the other party on their behalf.

reported post

dont make personal attacks please

reported posts now removed thanks mods

Edited by labrat

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: