style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm after some advice for my father-in-law. He has recently had a visit from Resolvecall but he wasnt in at the time so they left a card saying this was their first visit and to call the office before 8pm. It is regarding a credit card debt with Barclays from about 5 yrs ago. Basically he was made redundant and due to ill health couldnt get another job, had to sell their house and are now renting. They struggle to make ends meet as it is so there's no chance of him being able to afford any repayments. He has had letters over the yrs but has ignored them and this is the first time he has had a doorstep visit. After looking on this site I emailed them the letter (from my husbands email address) telling them he did not wish to make a home visit appointment but they have replied saying they will not stop any future visits until my father-in-law gets in touch with them directly. He is scared to death of them coming round again which is why I am dealing with it. What should we do now? Any advice appreciated. Thank you

you could send them the doorstop letter from your father in law, send it recorded, you could also send them a CCA request the template is in the library with a £1 postal order.

Im sure someone more professional will be along soon to answer, try not to worry to much they dont have any legal rights and you dont have to answer the door or speak to them, have a hand printed door stop letter ready to hand over and shur the door or just chuck it thru the letter box at them.

claire

If you don't want doorstep visits by these people, than that is your right. There are OFT rules that apply to DCA's about methods of communication.

As has been said, you can send the letter from the library about doorstep visits. If they ignore and continue to make visits, then threaten them with the Police and complaint about harassment.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?410-LETTER-USED-WHEN-A-DCA-THREATENS-A-DOORSTEP-VISIT

It could also be a good idea to make the CCA request at the same time.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?414-CCA-request-letter.

The doorstep collectors are mostly self employed people that will try a couple of times and then give up. They only earn a commission, if they obtain payment. They have no powers and can only ask nicely, if you would like to pay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

He is scared to death of them coming round again which is why I am dealing with it. What should we do now?

Hi Missz,

Do not be scared of a doorstep collector, as UB said above they are self employed on a commission only basis.

They ARE NOT Bailiffs! They have no legal powers apart from to ask your father-in-law to part with his cash.

If anyone shows up again, ask your father-in-law to hand them a copy of the doorstep template letter and tell them to leave the property.

If they refuse, call the Police(not 999 unless he is being verbally/physically threatened) and the Police will remove him/her on your father-in-law's behalf.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

OFT&TS via http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/Governmentcitizensandrightscontacts/DG_195948 need to be informed of their illegal tactics.

Tell your Dad that if they do turn up committing a tort of trespass, then he can laugh at them through the window, these people are not qualified to discuss personal financial matters on someone's doorstep, tell them to foxtrot oscar, and if they fail to do so, then call the Police report that there is a stranger on the property who fails to leave when told to do so, and is likely to cause a breach of the peace. If you don't use 999 then you may as well not call them, a breach of the peace is a 999 call.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!