Ditch Windows, get Ubuntu!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After maintaining a series of bigamous marriages with new brides from Microsoft starting with Miss Winnie 95, and ending with Winifred 7, I have decided to divorce the lot, and shack up with the sultry Ubuntu.

Ubuntu for those that don't know, is a Linux derived operating system that has nothing to do with Microsoft, it has several advantages over Microsoft's windows based systems:

It's free! Absolutely gratis, any of the Linux 'clones' can be downloaded free of charge.

It will run happily from a 'live CD' or a USB flash drive, you don't have to install it on your hard drive, so even ancient PC's or laptops can be brought back to life.

It's fast, very fast, Windows crawls in comparison.

You don't need any anti virus software, AV software on Windows systems is a must, surf the net or download anything with no AV software running, and the chances are you will have a virus, a worm, or a Trojan in no time, the people that write these virii tend to target Microsoft systems.

Setting up Internet connections, printers, and other peripherals is a doddle, you don't have to do anything Linux does it all for you.

The software that comes bundled with Ubuntu is comparable to Windows, word processing, spreadsheets, etc, are virtually the same, and many windows programs can be ran inside Ubuntu, if you really have to use them!

I run Ubuntu from a 16Gb USB flash drive, thats it, my hard drives are used purely for storing files, I can unplug the USB drive and plug it into any computer that has a USB socket and will boot from USB and have my whole system loaded up, so it's portable as well.

To summarise, if you're on a budget, or have an old PC or laptop that is past it's sell by date, give Linux a try, the most it will cost you is the price of a blank CD-R, to burn Ubuntu on to.

• Confused 1

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I am a Slackware (proper Linux) user and I think that Ubuntu is worse than Windows. Just my opinion.

• Confused 1

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

I've been using Ubuntu for years although am toying moving to another distro as the last two versions seemed a bit bloated so I stuck with their predecessor.

It was probably about 2008 I stopped using the virus checker, as it had found nothing in the previous years. Kubuntu runs on really old machines at a speed that makes them viable for WP/browsing etc.

Not only is it free - but the majority of software for it is free too - and you just download if from their software centre (just like apps - but invented long before).

You can even run many windows programs using "wine" which is downloaded free from the aforementioned centre. Also - Firefox on Unbuntu is identical to Firefox on Windows, and many other common programs are dual platform. so identical on both.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Why pay money for an inferior product?

DOWNSIDE

It wont play more recent Windows games, and a very tiny percentage of sites seem unhappy with Linux (although most web servers probably run Linux themselves).

I'm glad that you both had a good experience with Ubuntu but please don't call Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu is not Linux.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

OS X is linux aswell :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 4 weeks later...

tried ubuntu/kbuntu yonks ago, but it wasn't really compat for general family ease of use. firefox eg wasn't welcomed, and its ui wasn't that friendly. its prob alot better now though. but, as you say, as they get more user friendly they get more bloated! just like windows. although win7 has been spot on so far for me. as was xp. no probs in years, apart from 3 malware. 2 from an infected website script, 1 from a dodgy email attachment. all picked up by antivirus.

Edited by Ford

This post should probably be in the bear garden....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_deta ilpage&v=yX8yrOAjfKM

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 2 months later...

personally i prefer some of the other linux distos

so far tried

unbunto

knoppix

mint

D*mn small linux

backtrack 5 R2

deft 7

war linux

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 1 year later...

I have seen many good reviews regarding Linux Mint 16, and once april 8th is been and gone i may well use linux mint as a duel boot with my windows XP. i want to see how XP goes after the support ends on the 8th of april, i have used LM16 using the CD..and it does look good, im in no rush to change my operating system but i feel that at some stage im going to move over to LM16 at some point.

Edited by LZ-DEN
mis-typing

When the programs I use are available for a random linux distro ill try it. Until then, in my eyes its a fad. Notging more.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

yes alot will depend what the user wants in the o/s it may not suit everyone,but i feel its well worth a try for myself anyway, i have nothing to lose using a duel boot system LM16 could turn out to be a friend.:-)

• 3 weeks later...

I use Ubuntu Studio, for media work, Lightworks and Kdenlive for video editing, and Libre Office. It is just different, and if someone who had never used a computer learned on a Linux box it would appear as the norm to them. In any event Steam works well and more games are on the way. One benefit is Linux is relatively immune to those pesky Windows virii, You casn run many Windows applications and games just fine under WINE.

One benefit is a wallet less empty than paying Microsoft.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 5 weeks later...

right due to a problem with windows xp..just 2 days before the support stopped...my pc gave me hell...i wonder why:-x.....so im now a Linux Mint user namely LM13 Maya.and its running very well..i found LM13 ran better on my motherboard etc than LM16 something to do with PAE..but hay..im happy:-D..i also have here the LM13 Maya KDE and i ran that as a live cd...very good desktop and very good all round.:-D

• 1 month later...