Tax Over Payment

Gazza01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya All

A bit unsure of my ground n this subject [rubbish at maths!!!].

I was working for am employer for a number of years and during that period I was on emergency tax.

I became aware of this overpayment and the problem was sorted, eventually. Don't you just love HR which offers only advice but no help in sorting out these problems even though it was their duty at the time to do just that!

Anyway, I got a refund. Then last year I got a letter from HMRC stating that the original figure [i received a rebate for almost half the overpaid amount] had in the time since the overpayment started actually year by year had reduced in size. No explanation showing how this occured was given.

I am a bit confused at this, as year by year for this period I was on emergency tax and the actual tax code was bumped upwards year by year. If the tax code indicated a contracting amount I would not be puzzled.

Am I correct in thinking I need to go back to HMRC, pointing this out to them and asking for an explanation as not refunding the other half makes no sense?

To make things easy I totaled up the extra tax paid per year and took off the refund that was made.

Kind Regards