DPA and medical records

MondeoST24
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can I get my medical records under the DPA?

If so who do I apply to, how far do they go back and is it £10

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

yes you are entitled to see your medical records .

I applied under DPDR and was told to make an appointment to go into hospital to view them .The consultant was hovering around with a face like thunder watching me read them.

this may help

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/OrganisationPolicy/RecordsManagement/DataProtectionAct1998Article/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4000489&chk=VrXoGe

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

I need a copy of mine to take to my Occupational health at work but the receptionist at my surgery was saying I might not be able to have a copy, but am allowed to see it, but wont be getting my copy.

You don't need a DPA as such. Just write to the practice manager at you surgery and/or the health records manager at the hospital and request is disclosure of records under the Access to Medical Records Act (2000 - I think), but thats the right act; its a step forward from the Data Protection Act. Under the DPA you were only allowed to see records from Oct/Nov 1990. Now you can see all your records (less records that you are not allowed to see under law such as adoption records, records with reference to other people or records they feel might cause you halm).

they have 40 days to sort out an appointment for you to view you records, viewing them is free, but if you want a copy of computer records the costs is £10 and if you want a copy of paper records the max is £50.

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

• 1 month later...

How about the medical records of a parent (deceased)? Is it possible to request these?

I think, my mother was very badly cared for by home carers. But would like to see records...

If you have a legitimate claim under the estate (beneficiary or executor) you are entitled to see/ receive a copy of your mothers medical record under the Access to Health Records Act 1990. Ths has been superceded by the DPA for living persons but still applies to deceased individuals.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks