I want my dog back - Help!

AngelEden
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

5 weeks ago, I parted with one of my dogs to my daughters friend, I was having difficulty coping with 3 springers, and at the time thought it may have been the best thing to do.

No money exchanged hands, and I was foolish and didn't have a written agreement done.

A verbal agreement only, where the person promised I could see him whenever I wanted.

She has prevented me from seeing him, saying its not best for him.

I have pined for him for 5 weeks, and she has stopped sending me updates as to how he is.

I saw him at the park the other day, and he came racing over, tried to follow me when I started to walk away.

2 weeks ago I found out my middle dog has cancer, has months to live. My eldest dog is 14, and I know I will lose her soon.

I made a huge mistake, I want him back - do I have a leg to stand on?

Hi, and welcome to the site.

So sorry to hear of your dog's illness; it must be very hard to come to terms with, especially with the other girl being elderly.

I think the only thing you can really do is perhaps ask your daughter to ask her friend (on your behalf) if she would consider returning the dog. Possibly she stopped sending updates because she knew it was upsetting you? One thing you have to ask yourself, however, is how well the dog has settled with his new owner; how well would you cope with him AND nursing a terminally-ill dog, as well as your old girl?

At the end of the day it has to be whatever is in the dog's best interest - anything else would be terribly unfair.

I hope it gets solved to everyone's satisfaction, and I hope your dog's journey to Rainbow Bridge is as pain-free as possible when it happens.

Best wishes

Janie xx

Hi Janie

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have thought a lot since yesterday, and think I have decided to leave things as they are. Not that I've changed my mind, but thinking about what is probably best for my dog (he will always be mine in my heart), myself, and my 2 dogs still with me.

Your kind words and thoughts helped me to see that,

Thanks so much,

Kayte xx

Hi, Kayte

A hard decision to make, but I think it's the right one. You're very brave, and I'm sure your dog will always remember you with love.

Enjoy what time you have with your girls.

Best wishes,

Janie xx

I am so pleased you have come to this decision, that is the sign of a true animal person when they consider the animals wellbeing before their own.

with one older dog and a sick dog they will require a lot of looking after and in their interests the decision you have made is the right one as they will enjoy a quiter slower paced environment, and the other dog is obviously settled and happy so overall you have done the right thing.

xx

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Hi, Kayte

You're bound to feel bad - I feel bad for you............it's one of the toughest decisions to have to make, but it's a truly unselfish one and I admire you for having the courage to do it.

Although it's no consolation, at least all your time can be devoted to making your girls happy without your boy having to be sidelined due to the girls' illness and age.

Thinking of you and your girls.

Best wishes

Janie xx

• 4 weeks later...

Understand 100% how you feel. But you have understood one of the most important rules with pets - their welfare has to come first and sometimes that hurts us. Lets try and cheer you up a tad then with one of my tales! And only dog owners will appreciate this one. Power to the dogs!

Brother in law Albert had a lovely srpinger called Molly, had her for 6 years. She was got as a pup when he moved into his partners house. Albert was the dog lover not the partner but she was ok with the dog. They took out a joint mortgage, her ex-husband had turned up as soon as the third kid turned 18 and demanded she sell the house, so Albert bailed her out by taking out a mortgage with her. Then they split up. Albert agreed that if she would give Molly a good home for the rest of her life he would walk away although he was legally entitled to half the value of the property. Albert collected her at the weekends and noticed she was pining. Took her to the vets - she was being neglected. Then the ex phoned him out of the blue and said to come and get Molly as she didn;t want the hassle any more. (I expect she had to take her for a walk in the rain and messed her hair up). Poor Albert had the distressing task of rehoming Molly three weeks ago, and it broke his heart. We know Molly has a super home now, and Albert has decided not to see her again for her own good. But he was so incensed that he had to do this to Molly that the poor old ex=partner now has to sell her home - what a bloody shame!

All she had to do was look after that dog for 6 - 10 years, with Albert paying any expenses, and she could have walked away with a house,. What a silly creature. Albert will not back down, and hey ho even her friends have little sympathy for her! Normally I would tell Albert that although he had legal rights to the house he should stop and think about it morally - oh not this time, all the way to the solicitors - who happens to be a dog lover!! Its not often this sort of person gets just punishment, but just for once its going to happen.

Anyway, hope my little ditty cheered you up a tad, you've been very brave.