Halifax Pet Insurance Compensation Rules & contradicting comments - for Post 2008 policies

giantcavie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to this site but I have come to the end of my teather with Halifax/BDML/Agria with regards to the nightmare of pet insurance and appreciate peoples storeis/advice on what we can do!??

I was informed back in Nov 2011 that I couldn't renew my continuous cover. After calling the Halifax pet insurance line I was told that I had no rights to complain because it was always a 12month contract. They disregarded the fact that they had ever sold it as continuous/lifelong. I gave up complaining, until I saw that Halifax had been paying compensation to people. So I again complained to BDML who told me they would pass my complaint onto Halifax because they are only the adminstrators of the policy and that it was Halifax's decision to exit the market (all correspondance on Halifax letter headed paper).

I also lodged a complaint with Halifax (who had received none of my complaints that I'd lodged with BDML!), and they too were investigating my situation.

This has taken 2months (since my first official letter) and I have now received a letter from BDML (on BDML letterheaded paper) stating that it was Agria's decision to exit the market and nothing to do with BDML?!!

I called Agria who say that this is news to them and that they are surprised to hear BDML have changed their stance and are now effectively blaming them not Halifax. Agria say that BDML appointed Agria for a 3year contract (2008-2011) and that they didn't withdraw from the market because they had a fixed term agreement that expired.

I then called Halifax (sorry this is one long story), who couldn't quite answer this (because he had to stick to his script) and the bloke said that Halifax are not going to pay out on my claim because I took the policy out in the past 3 years when BDML were operating the policy with Agria as the underwriters. During the past 3 years Halifax are only the introducer and are not responsible.

Halifax did tell me that the CEO of Lloyds is meeting with the FSA this week and that he may be able to give me different news next week but as it stands today, they couldn't take any responsibility and I'd needed to take my complaint up with BDML.

Therefore, I'd really like to hear from any one who has been told anything different. Halifax seem to have taken legal advice not to disclose to policy holders why they won't get any compensation or why they won't take responsibility for those who took a policy out after 2008. They told me they didn't have to explain why and all they could tell me was that 'it was nothing to do with Halifax'.

BDML also seem to have taken advice not to answer complaints other than to send them a letter stating Agria pulled out of the market and BDML are not at fault.

I understand people have had payouts but were these payouts always to policy holders on pre 2008 contracts??? Or am I being spun another lie by the bank, BDML and Agria???

I really appreciate everyones thoughts...

I am moving your thread to the "pets n Vets" forum where you will see many more threads in respect of this disgraceful situation with Halifax and LTSB.

I see you had another thread started so I have merged them and removed the duplicated post.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 months later...

I've missed all this somehow until getting back off holiday this weekend and finding a letter from Halifax telling me they were terminating my pet insurance. They have included details of their "alternative cover" arrangement which is not only more expensive but doesn't cover my dogs existing problems (expensive problems). I thought I was being a responsible dog owner by paying "top dollar" for a policy that would last for life provided the premiums were paid on time. Should my mutt have a major relapse she'll probably end being put down. So what do I do? I shall be writing to Halifax but even if any good comes of this it will probably be too late.

ElliesBoss, have a read of all the links posted above in post # 3

It might also be a good idea if you were to start your own thread :)

BCOBS

BDML also seem to have taken advice not to answer complaints other than to send them a letter stating Agria pulled out of the market and BDML are not at fault

I don't know if this is pertinent or useful but Agria have not pulled out of pet insurance. They are marketing aggressively having recently made what is in my opinion an unholy alliance with the GCCF. The GCCF logo is on the Agria cover notes booklet and the web address is http://www.gccfinsurance.co.uk/breeder. As a breeder who registers kittens with the GCCF I have had two full sets of publicity info sent to me including booklets of cover notes. They are going head to head with Petplan in offering 4 weeks free insurance for kittens and the GCCF will be sending out the paperwork with every kitten registration.

Agria say that BDML appointed Agria for a 3year contract (2008-2011)

According to their own website they have only been underwriting policies in the UK since 2009

http://breeder.gccfinsurance.co.uk/useful-info/about-agria