Does Husband lose his JSA

Pearl123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Husband and myself were on Joint Claim Job seekers Allowance (for 8 months), I have now finally found a job.

I was told that immediately the following would stop:

My JSA (obviously)

Husband's JSA

MIS (Mortgage Interest Support)

Council tax payment

Is this correct that hubby's should also stop??

Advice much appreciated.

Pearl123

Are you the main claimant, or is the claim in your husband's name? And how many hours per week will you be working?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Then yes, you will need to close the joint claim so the extra you get for your husband will also stop. He could make a claim for contribution-based JSA in his own name, but whether this would be successful or not depends on his NI contribution record over the last few years.

You can apply directly to your council for Council Tax Benefit - this is means tested and depends on your household income.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Antone,

We were on Income based JSA - does that make a difference?

I will write to the Council re: Benefit

What about the MIS - I will write to them also to update them but this may also stop??

I should be earning around £12ph so not low income, I just don't want to get into arrears as everything will stop together which is worrying.

Antone,

We were on Income based JSA - does that make a difference?

I will write to the Council re: Benefit

What about the MIS - I will write to them also to update them but this may also stop??

I should be earning around £12ph so not low income, I just don't want to get into arrears as everything will stop together which is worrying.

Yes, it makes a difference. Your husband can't claim income based JSA because you will be working more than 24 hours per week. However, contribution based JSA does not take your earnings into account, so he can make a claim. Of course, it's possible he won't meet the contribution conditions, but he can certainly apply and see what happens.

SMI will also stop when your JSA(IB) does, although I do seem to recall that there used to be a 4 week "run on" available to people who sign off after claiming for more than 6 months. Anyone know anything about this?