store entry policies

MillyM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Wondered if anyone might know whether a store has a legal obligation to display a notice outside the store if they have a policy of barring entrance to certain sections of the community?

Basically we live very close to a Tesco petrol station and (sadly!) over the last few years it has become our 'corner shop'. My eldest boy (age 12) often goes for me to buy milk, bread etc

A few days ago he went at 7.30 am for milk (yep, one of those mornings:p ) & came back, upset, said the woman had refused to serve him - "we don't serve school kids".....so my son told her he just lived down the road, just wanted some milk and he hasn't come from school "likely story!!" she replied.

I went down to ask them about it & she said they have a policy of not allowing school kids in the shop. I told her we'd lived down the road for a few years and he'd never once not been served, never been questioned etc She reckoned that he shouldn't have been served & it is probably that not all members of staff were aware of the policy...:confused:

i'm now writing to the manager (more for the principle than anything:) ) because i think if they only apply their 'policy' haphazardly then they leave themselves wide open to allegations of discrimination.....how do i know that that particular assistant on that particular morning decided she just didn't want to serve some young kid with brown skin?

Anyhow, does anyone know if a shop has to display their policy outside if they refuse admission to certain groups of people?

any info appreciated!

Actually no thats wrong, the age discrimination act comes into play - and your son is clearly discriminated on his age.

Now they could argue that it happened before this act came into force but I would still contact them regarding this.

I work as a childrens advocate, and Im a registered Pyschologist so I go to court,police, social services etc etc. (you'd be surprised how many adults in reputatable jobs abuse their power over minors)

I think its disgraceful the way this country treats the youth of today (yes there are somebads uns - but there are bad poeple of every age) people forget the youth of today will be the adults of tomorrow and how they are treated will shape how they treat others in society when they are older!! Ok preach over!!!

Now the shop could state its their policy etc etc but human rights and the discrimantion act superceeds this, it doesnt just apply to older people either.

There may also be something in the childrens act as well, so I will have a look at that for you.

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

"Actually no thats wrong, the age discrimination act comes into play - and your son is clearly discriminated on his age."

This is not age discrimination under the new Age Regulations.

These regulations apply only to employment and vocational training.

If he had asked for a job and was told they don't employ "school kids", that may contitute age discrimination.

Davjoh

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

Thanks Allyxia

I agree, children are often subject to prejudice resulting in unfair treatment. I'm inclined to think they are within their rights to say who can & can't come into their glorious shop as its private property, but i suspect this is a 'grey' area of the law....i.e. where the boundaries lie between denying access for legitimate reasons and simply discriminating because of which group of people you belong to...anyhow, thanks, i've written them a lovely letter!

"Actually no thats wrong, the age discrimination act comes into play - and your son is clearly discriminated on his age."

This is not age discrimination under the new Age Regulations.

These regulations apply only to employment and vocational training.

If he had asked for a job and was told they don't employ "school kids", that may contitute age discrimination.

Davjoh

I thought this was the case.....thanks