Judgment Order

Old2072
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi please can you help?

my wife ran a small shop which I helped out with.

Last year with increasing debts and unhelpful bank, she was forced to close, leaving a few of her suppliers unpaid.

One of them has taken us both to court for the debt.

I first got a court summons from Northampton which I replied to stating that my wife was the sole trader and I sent along letters to prove that.

I then got a court hearing date which again I replied to saying that as I was on benefits and have no transport I was unable to get to court

and again as I had sent proof that it was my wife's business and nothing to do with me that the claim against me be dismissed.

I have today had a General Form of Judgment Order from the court with me as the 1st defendant and my wife as the 2nd defendant

saying I must pay X amount or further action may be taken to recover this amount.

Any help would be greatfull,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The claim was issued from the Northampton Bulk Processing centre, yes ?

Did you think you had to travel to Northampton court ? Is it your local court ?

Did you put in a defence at all ?

Procedure..

Claim issued you are then bound by time..

Issue date + 5 days for receipt + 14 days to acknowledge service - you can do that online + 14 days to submit defence if you are intending to defend.

If you were going to admit the debt then there would have been a section on the claim form that you would need to complete.. income and Expenditure.

If you were going to defend you could also do that online. Then the case would have been sent to your local court who would send out an allocation questionairre. to be returned to your LOCAL court.

You would then be given a hearing date.

It is fairly obvious that a hearing date had been sent and you were unable to attend. Judgment has now been awarded in default.

If you are unable to pay the Judgment order then will need to apply for a variation .. I will try and find someone who can talk you through this procedure.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks Citizenb,

Yes what you have put is correct, I did fill in forms for my defence, i.e. The business was not mine but my wife's I just helped out, but they have still passed judgment on me which I don't understand. If I worked at Tesco and they didn't pay a bill would I be liable?

I am thinking that perhaps you could get this judgment set aside.. I am trying to find someone who can help.

Emmmm Abuse of process??

I had a case last year where I acted

as ''litigation friend'' completed all paperwork

on behalf of the defendant and ended up as

first defendant according to Northampton

CCBCC.

Real hard effort needed to get it changed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Was it a default judgment? What exactly does the judgment order say? Does it refer to a hearing? And where was the hearing?

• Haha 1

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Hi

The order say's :

It is adjudged that the claimant recover the sum of XXX for debt and interest to date of judgment and XXX cost .

It is ordered that the defendants pay to the claimant the total sum of XXX

It was in the THE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE, CHANCERY DIVISION, ABERYSTWYTH.

Thanks,

You would need to download form N244 from the court website - then complete it, with your reasons for the set aside.

I think it costs £40.00 without a hearing or £80.00 with.

BCOBS

You would need to download form N244 from the court website - then complete it, with your reasons for the set aside.

I think it costs £40.00 without a hearing or £80.00 with.

Its £45.00 now without a hearing, but I think this one will probably need a hearing.

You will probably qualify for fee remission - should cost you nothing.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Its £45.00 now without a hearing, but I think this one will probably need a hearing.

:thumb:

BCOBS

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice, it seems wrong that I will have to pay when on benefits to prove something that I have already done, i.e. that I was just an employee.

You will probably qualify for fee remission - should cost you nothing.

You would need to complete form ex160 - information in the link below.. but if you pop fee remission form e160 into a google search it will fetch up a pdf copy of the form for you to complete.

http://www.ned-cab.org.uk/debtselfhelp/bankruptcy_ex160_1.shtml

BCOBS

It appears that a Default judgement was issued against you, it is allowbale to not be in court in person, you must put all the facts down in a letter, explain your non-attendance (how far is the court from yours ?), and the legal facts that make you not liable and proof (not just a series of claims). It would appear that perhaps the jdge didnt have/getthe info you sent.

So now follow the set aside info. posted above.

Andy

If you want to pop your draft application form N244 up for us to have a look at.. we can help fine tune it for you..

BCOBS

Yes, that would be a good idea.. :)

BCOBS

If its the courts mistake, and you notified them that you should not be the Defendant in this claim.

I know from experience, if you contact Northampton directly, and make them fully aware of the facts, by writing those letters and informing them of the facts,you have in effect submitted a defence. The claim against you should of then gone before a judge to determine whether you should be the Defendant. Either way, you lodged a defence which has clearly not been noted on the system. This does happen.

Northampton have made the error, they can set a side the CCJ within hours, and it shouldn't cost you a penny.

The email address is

ccbcdefendants@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk

Subject: Complaint re:- Claim Number xxxxxx

Importance :- High

Complaint

Then make your point.

Make it strong. This is their mistake.

Debbie

Exact same scenario with me....I retired from the business and OH continued to trade....creditor issued Claim against both of us, OH admitted the Claim and offer to installments, I submitted defence as I had retired before the debt arose, (the Claimant did not pay the fees due to the Court to have the mater adjudicated by the Court), next I knew the claim had gone ahead and Jugment named me as 2nd defendant. I got the jugment to me set aside and the creditors solicitor got a roasting for not taking action over my submitted defence....so go for set aside you have good grounds

WD

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry been a while but has taken ages to get a reply from court.

I filled in a form to have this set aside, which I sent off with the proof that I was not responsible for this debt. I have today had a Judgment order from court which say's;

" The application to set aside contains no ground's. The defendant had opportunity to attend court to put forward his case but failed to do so.

I sent them an email saying I was unable to attend court as I have no transport and I am on benefits and unable to pay the cost of public transport to get there, and again stating that the debt had nothing to do with me.

ANY help as to what I can do now would be very helpful please,

Roy

To have your judgement set aside you will need to put forward a reason why. You must keep your reason as clear and simple as possible.

Were you given 28 days notice in order to pay?

Were you living at the address when the summons and judgement took place?

If you took out a loan or any form of credit were you in receipt of the Default Notice before receiving the summons.

Did you receive the summons? They are not sent by recorded mail.

Maybe you were unable to attend court and defend yourself.

The judgement should not appear on the credit files if it was paid up within 28 days.

If you agreed to settle 'out of court' with the plaintiff you should not have received a Judgement.

If you did not receive any notification of the judgement/s made against you, then you can appeal.

Did you agree with the full amount of the judgement at the time, but now only agree with part of the amount?

Was the summons taken out against both yourself and another person jointly. If this is so, did you both receive your summons?

It could have been that you were away from the time between the issue of the summons and entry of the judgement?

Did you receive the summons on time for you to apply to the court. You have 21 days to reply to the court. If the summons was 21 days late then the judgement would have already been taken out against you?

Did somebody use your name or address to obtain credit, which resulted in a County Court judgement without you knowing?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread