IB to ESA assessment - never got appointment letters, missed assessment now a cutoff date for benefits.

worried33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok can anyone indicate if I have been fed rubbish.

today I rang up the DWP and then atos after I got given the atos number and atos are telling me to expect to wait 6-8 weeks.

remember I get no money until I have had this assessment.

The DWP told me that in a situation where someone isnt been paid they fast track the medicals which clearly isnt happening based on what atos told me. So should I have been fast tracked or is this normal?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there anything else in the benefit system with such a harsh penalty (sanction)?

Miss a work focused interveiw eg. on WRAG and you lose premiums, miss a medical assessment and it seems lose 100% of benefit for many months.

If 6-8 weeks is fast tracked is there an explanation as to why I only had a less than 2 week delay on my IB to ESA migration? Other than the DWP would have been motivated to get me off benefit. In that case they got my ESA50 on the 3rd january and my medical was booked for the 13th january, and yes now I know these dates given they need to give me a weeks notice prior to the medical it would seem they got a pretty much instant booking, allowing a 4 days buffer for their super reliable royal mail to deliver.

Unfortunately the 6-8 weeks is the fast tracked referral for the medical assessment.

This is what I was told also 6-8 weeks when I asked for a reconcideration from Wrag to Support Group. I requested this last October when I received my award letter. Phoned up early December to be told it would be passed on to the Medical Team for reconcideration. Never heard another thing from DWP until another ESA50 dropped on the doormat early March. Phoned DWP again but I cant get passed the Muppet who answers the phone so just filled in the ESA50 and sent it back, just waiting to see if I need another assessment now. I would keep pestering them until you get an appointment, what do they expect you to live on fresh air? MUPPETS.

The 6-8 weeks fast track is for if you have had a medical which for whatever reason you failed to attend and you benefit has been stopped. You then reclaim or advise on the reasons for the fail to attend. Your payments cannot be instated until you have attended a medical with ATOS. The 6-8 weeks is nothing to actually do with the transition between IB and ESA.

The "MUPPET" you refer to Poollie is based in a contact centre not in the beneft processing centre and as such only has access to the notes with are left on your payment records, if they can't answer you enquiry then they will request a call back fron your benefit centre.

It won't be DWP that you should pester either it is ATOS as the DWP don't book the medical reviews/assessments that is the responsibility of ATOS so by all means call ATOS but DWP can't help.

My MP claims now she is going to chase this up with the minister as she reckons she agrees with me the effective sanction for missing a medical is excessive and out of proportion to other DWP sanctions. I say claim as so far she has actually not been that much help and got little results other than getting me evidence of a wrong postcode been read out over the phone, so its hard to say actually how hard she has tried or she has just gone through the motions.

What still makes no sense is that 6-8 weeks is supposed to be fast tracking yet it took them just 10 days to get a medical on my IB to ESA migration which should have been below all new claimants in priority (but looks like was the opposite) as I was currently getting money.

What is even more interesting is they actually got my ESA50 late outside of the window its supposed to be returned in but on the notes it says they overuled the time limit due to christmas post delays so it was accepted, but then only allowed 3-4 days delivery of the appointment letter right after the new year to hit the required 7 days notice.

This is what I was told also 6-8 weeks when I asked for a reconcideration from Wrag to Support Group. I requested this last October when I received my award letter. Phoned up early December to be told it would be passed on to the Medical Team for reconcideration. Never heard another thing from DWP until another ESA50 dropped on the doormat early March. Phoned DWP again but I cant get passed the Muppet who answers the phone so just filled in the ESA50 and sent it back, just waiting to see if I need another assessment now. I would keep pestering them until you get an appointment, what do they expect you to live on fresh air? MUPPETS.

I feel the same way when I ring, its clear those who answer the phone have no powers to do anything at all, they just seem to be PR people and the real staff are shielded from the public. I have been able to request call backs but some of the call centre people get obstructive and deny the request, I wasnt able to get a callback at all the first time until I threatened legal action and asked for the call centre guy's name.

My guess is your reconsideration has had no action and you now up for reassessment with what seems like a 6 month period.

I feel the same way when I ring, its clear those who answer the phone have no powers to do anything at all, they just seem to be PR people and the real staff are shielded from the public. I have been able to request call backs but some of the call centre people get obstructive and deny the request, I wasnt able to get a callback at all the first time until I threatened legal action and asked for the call centre guy's name.

When I worked there I was, for a time, one of the people who did the callbacks. But in those days, not so very long ago, the people who answered the phones had basic training in their benefit, and they were in the same building as us. That was critical, because if someone called in complaining about, say, a missed callback, the telephony supervisor could physically walk over and speak to my supervisor. That way, we could arrange for things to be dealt with urgently. These days, you're lucky if the the people who answer the phone are even in the same city as the processors.

I actually liked doing callbacks, most of the time. Although it did seem that I spent a huge amount of my time looking for missing med certs. Happy times.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

There are DWP staff who come on this forum and give useful advice to people who need help with their benefit claims. They do this in their own free time - they are not getting paid. The forum benefits enormously from their knowledge and experience.

So just as we do not allow people to insult benefit claimants here, we equally do not allow people to insult DWP staff.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

antone thats fair enough, and I do respect that you and others who try to help during free time. After my initial posts I have tried t be more rational in how I post although I do remain stressed and frustrated so sometimes I may slip.

I assume if I fail the medical, I then appeal and then wont get the assessment rate instated until the appeal is actually submitted which could be an extra 1-2 months? so I could potentially still be 4 months or so away from getting any money. Or I am hoping I would get the money as soon as my appeal is confirmed arrived. Also am I right in that regardless of the outcome of the medical I wont get any backdated money from the start of the claim, I am simply not entitled to anything under the current rules?

Currently I am trying to arrange a 2nd crisis loan but its not easy as I am trying to avoid having to use a 2nd taxi to get it picked up. My sister also wont buy my food shopping anymore so things are about to get very rough for me in terms of getting by. I got a feeling I am going to have a huge credit card debt soon.

antone thats fair enough, and I do respect that you and others who try to help during free time. After my initial posts I have tried t be more rational in how I post although I do remain stressed and frustrated so sometimes I may slip.

I assume if I fail the medical, I then appeal and then wont get the assessment rate instated until the appeal is actually submitted which could be an extra 1-2 months? so I could potentially still be 4 months or so away from getting any money. Or I am hoping I would get the money as soon as my appeal is confirmed arrived. Also am I right in that regardless of the outcome of the medical I wont get any backdated money from the start of the claim, I am simply not entitled to anything under the current rules?

Currently I am trying to arrange a 2nd crisis loan but its not easy as I am trying to avoid having to use a 2nd taxi to get it picked up. My sister also wont buy my food shopping anymore so things are about to get very rough for me in terms of getting by. I got a feeling I am going to have a huge credit card debt soon.

Don't worry, worried. :-) My last post wasn't directed at you. Most of us who work (or, in my case, have worked) within the DWP know that there are many problems with the system, and understand why people become frustrated.

If you fail the medical and appeal, the DMs will first do an internal reconsideration to see if they can change the decision in your favour. If they can, great, if (as is more common) they can't, it will then be sent to the tribunal. At this point they will inform the processing team who will reinstate your payments. At my office, this process typically took 3 or 4 weeks, but that does vary from one processing centre to another.

If you pass the medical, or win your appeal, the extra component for the WRAG or Support Group will be backdated to week 14 of your claim and you'll get this in a lump sum once the computer system is updated with the new decision.

ok so the period I have now with non payment is not something I will get back even if found unfit for work. Thats lost entitlement due to missing the other medical?

Sorry, I try to keep up with the forum as much as possible, but I do lose track of the various posters and situations. As a general rule, you aren't entitled to payment if you miss a medical, but you do have the opportunity to ask the DMs to consider "good cause" if you had a valid reason not to attend. If good cause is accepted, you will be paid.

ok good news. Wasnt expecting this at all especially as I remember been told only one reconsideration gets done.

yesterday I rang to check the status of my appeal as it still hadnt been sent to tribunal service, they rang back saying I got put at the top of the pile for processing and would be done today so was expecting the letter saying it got sent on later this week or next week.

Instead today I got a phonecall that they now accepted good cause and my IB is reinstated, the relief is unreal.

Obviously I expect the reassessment process will probably start again very soon, but now I know to ring up every week to check if an appointment is made and not just rely on a letter coming.

She said will also handle cancelling my new ESA claim for me as well.

My guess is your reconsideration has had no action and you now up for reassessment with what seems like a 6 month period.

Yeah it looks that way? but they should have let me know the new Decision that they cannot overturn in my favour, that way I could have then gone to appeal, by not letting me know they have denied me an appeal. I might send a letter of complaint.

it does seem I was due to get a quick medical as I have a missed call from atos, I obviously cant ring them back now until monday although I will ring the DWP first to see if I should still attend this medical as this one is for the new claim.

does anyone here in the know what should be happening in regards to the medical.

IB department says it should be cancelled but to get ESA department to confirm.

ESA department says they dont know and told me to ring ATOS. But did say today a ESA55 form was sent to ATOS whatever that is.

ATOS told me I still have to attend unless I get a letter telling me otherwise. Obviously I will attend if nothing else happens.

Sorry for hijacking your thread worried, just new here and don't know where to start a new one..

Kinda have the same problem with ESA, I missed my medical, purely because I didn't know about it. I got the letter asking me my reasons for not attending the medical on same day as I got the actual medical letter. I filled in the reasons letter that day, posted it straight back to them. A week or so had went by, and I still hadn't recieved any letters from them so I assumed they recieved it ok, and that my benefits were still being paid.

Got a letter from them informing me my medical cert was due to expire, so I got a new one and posted it In within the time limit. All this time still heard nothing back about the failed to attend reasons. I called ESA up to check the had recieved my sick line, the woman replied they had, but my claim was now dormant so couldn't use it. I asked why, and was told it was for the failed medical.

This was on a Friday, so I requested a call back which I got on the Monday. They said the didn't recieve my reasons for not attending letter, and she eventually agreed to take them over the phone. I spent over a week chasing this up, no payments had been made to me, I was worse than skint, and still during this time I had no letters from ESA telling me my ESA has been stopped.

Finally put in a new claim on the 2nd of April, but as ESA hadn't fully closed last claim I had to fill in paper claim form and and back. Which I did straight away. As I has already had 3 crisis loans they wouldn't give me another one until the 19th of this month (my last ESA oayment was the 19th Of march) .

Was told my claim form has been recieved on the 10th, and would hear back when it was looked at. In amongst this time I was told that my reasons weren't good enough as to why I didn't attend.

Now, given that this has been going on a while now I can't afford to pay my by bill, so am on incoming calls and can only call freephone numbers. I got through to crisis loans today, and the nice man opened up my claim, and said that it had been processed on the 17 and that my claim was live, but that's all he could tell me.

I last week received the limited capability for work form, filled it in straight away and sent back, but that us the only thing I've had since started new claim. I hav not had a single letter from Esa to say even that they have opened a claim etc.

I understand I'm able to apply for an allignment to benifits crisis loan while I'm waiting on gettig this sorted, but I guess I have a few questions

1: shouldn't I have recieved sonething from ESA regarding new claim

2: why haven't I had a payment yet

3:how do they expect anyone to contact them with no money

4: the man at crisis loans said they sometimes require you to attend medical before payments issued, sp does that mean that as soon as you have been for medical they put you into payment? Or do they wait on outcome of medical?

5: will I be backdated to last ESA payment date?

Sorry for the long message, just really confused by this all, and in a pretty desperate state of affairs cash wise :(

Michelle x

Edited by Edin_girl

#1 probably but it seems the DWP are poor at sending out letters. If you can appeal the medical decision and use the fact you got no proof of the ESA claim going live in the post as evidence of postal problems, it all counts.

#2 because of the circumstances you wont get paid anything until you have had a medical assessment. If you fail the medical assessment you then may need to wait until an appeal is submitted for that failed medical.

#3 good question. they will probably say you can use phones free in job centre to contact them, of course it still costs money to get to the job centre and if your condition is bad enough you may not even be able to get to the job centre.

#4 not sure which, however I would expect they wont know you have attended until the results come anyway, so both are probably the same time.

#5 probably not unless you appeal the original decision of failure to attend and get it overturned (which I did). If you cant get hat overturned as I understand it you have been effectively sanctioned and lost entitlement to any payments until a medical has been done, even if you pass the medical I expect it wouldnt be backdated.

defenitly appeal, it paid off for me. They seem to take appeals more serious than just a reconsideration request as well. You can appeal and keep your new claim going at the same time.

When you appeal, they do a reconsideration before it goes to appeal.

they do but they then have the knowledge if they dont reconsider it is going to a tribunal, so its logical to assume they probably take it more seriously.

I had 2 reconsiderations, the one without the appeal wasnt overturned. Both were almost identical evidence submitted with only minor differences.