fed up with service *** RESOLVED ***

pinwin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi..

we are having a lot of trouble with comet at the moment.

we bought a washer about 18months ago at comet and we paid nearly £160 for insurance on it as we have a little girl and can not do without a washer.

a month ago i phoned comet as our washer sounded like a aircraft taking off,

the man on the phone booked a engineer to come out so when he arrived a few days later(mon),

he said i must not use it as it could electrocute me..

so no washer. said he would order parts and fit me in for the following sat/mon,

then i got a phone call to say parts had not come in.

We waited again for a engineer to come ( thurs i think) and when i recieved a phone call he said he would be there at 11.

i explained i would have to go out between 11.30-12 as i had to pick my daughter up

( i had explained this to the first engineer who explained he would work round me and i wasnt to leave them alone at any time)

but the 2nd engineer said i can leave him alone whilst i went out .

.i said come after...but he turned up anyway.

( luckily my partner came out of work for me as i knew he had not listened to my instructions.)

as it was he had the wrong part ( grrrrr) so total waste of time,

he phoned later to say parts re ordered and i explained again to him under no circumstances would he be left alone in the house,

to which he went on to say well if i turn up at 11 and its a hr job you will have to go and pick your daughter up..

its ok i will stay on my own( obviously the man didnt understand what i was saying to him!)

well after phoning up yet again stating to complaints i wasnt happy with engineer being left alone i got through to head office,

A Nadine took this matter up for me and i got a email stating she had been onto repairs and was assured that our washer part had finally come in

and we would have our washer fixed last friday..

.well surprise surprise we got a phone call friday morning saying the part was damaged.

.it was taking a week or there abouts to order new parts etc so that meant we were now looking at being into our 4th week without a washer,

i spoke to lovley lady who listenend to me after she had explained all this and i stated the reason we took out a expensive insurance out so this wouldnt happen!!!

obviously the fix it soloution was not working and i really needed a washer.

she phoned again to say that it had been agreed that i could have a washer and i was to recieve a phone call with a code that afternoon..

.yet another day sat waiting and got no phonecall.

we phoned again and spent the best part of a hr trying to get this sorted and we eventually got head office.

we were told nothing could be done until monday.

.but rest assured it was priority.

.have i had a phone call..

have i nothing but i have just checked my emails and seen one stating would replace but our very expensive insurance wont be transfered.

.or wait for repair.

well i have to say im very very disapointed in the way i have been treated,

in this economical climate surely comet needs to be rising its customer service standards.

..bad publicity is not something any firm should be courting,

the way we have been treated is a joke,and as for not transfereing the policy in real terms

it means comet have had my £160 for 18months and the cost of a washer to them would be in this region

so again in real terms i have paid for a new washer..

which will not be insured!

the one thing to come out of this is i will never ever buy from them again,

and neither will my friends as they cant beleive the service i have had.

.legally im not sure where i stand but i can honsetly say the way comet have dealt with this is appaling.

im now into week 4 ..

.no washer..

so all i can say is the insurance was a waste of time.

as for the phone bill we will recieve

( after reading on here the high high costs) and we have been on the phone for a good long while,

i wonder if comet will offer us some compesation for their incompitant staff keeping us waiting/on hold etc..

..i wont hold my breath!:sad:

well we phoned them to see what was happening

only to be told that the repair option was no longer available as the order had been cancelled

and our only option was the new washer( without insurance) .

.and after my husband tried to get some points over was told .

..we dont have a leg to stand on and should have read the small print.

.point made our mistake re small print

although i do believe that the lady speaking maybe could have worded it differently re not having a leg to stand on

..but when the man in the shop when taking this insurance out stated a 5yr insurance policy and that they would just replace when broken.

.how he worded it we thought we were buying a 5yr policy and we did ask all the right questions.

if you insure your car for a yr amd make a claim they dont then un-insure you do they!.

.comet please note when your taking peoples money maybe you should not mislead and be honest when selling expensive policies.

. we have emailed head office asking why without our consent was the repair option taken away when its only been offered today..

. also my husband commented today on what the engineer said when he came out..

.that this fault is common on this machine so if we are made to get the same make etc.

..what happens if this common fault happens again...

.WITHOUT INSURANCE!

comet you dont deserve peoples hard earnt money!

Hi pinwin ,

I found your post quite difficult to read due to the lack of paragraphs , but a think I have understood the main points.

COMET it would seem have finally replaced your washer as you had 5 year Breakdown policy at a cost of £160.00.

When this is the case the policy comes to an abrupt end and does not carry onto your new replacement washer.

As the washer was only 18 months old SOGA would have been on your side with regards to getting some redress from COMET if you had not taken out the Policy .

Unfortunately this is a harsh lesson on how these retailers work and it is not good , much has to be said about reading small print within these policies

I do not know if there is anything further you can do perhaps someone from the CAG site team can advise you with regards to this .

Regards

GorgieBoy

GorgieBoy....I have to say sorry re the lack of paragraphs.. i was just venting my frustartion and i didnt come up for air!( it does all look rarther long winded and a bit of a ramble on)

Comet have resolved this issue today, the washer parts are no longer available so i am to recieve a new washer next week and was told as a goodwill gesture they will transfer the insurance .

Have to say im glad this issue is now over and done with

Hi

Lets wait until you get the new one an then we'll mark it as "resolved"

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi pinwin ,

No problem , I understand very well as I go on a ramble as well at times .

Glad you are getting somewhere at last regarding the replacement washer and the goodwill gesture regarding the policy is also a plus.

Once your new washer is all plumbed in and working post back and one of the site team will mark your thread as resolved.

The only thing left to add is parts NLA on a 18 month appliance not very good state of affairs maybe posting the make and model would be of some help to anyone in the future as retailers do have an obligation with regards to providing spares via the manufacturer for white and brown goods they sell , especially if they themselves are repairing them .

That though is another story for another day !

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi, I posted about my Comet issues in November but the problem is unresolved and I thought someone might be able to help as I am now wanting to bang my head against a brick wall!!!!

On 16.11.2011 my Hotpoint washer dryer WDL540G broke down for the second time since I purchased it from Comet, Bridgend on 24.05.2009 for £419.99, taking out an extended warranty for an additional £239.99 following Comet’s usual hard sell of “you can’t be without one of these” policies. My first problem was with the new phone number that you replaced the one on my receipt with that charges 10p per min - ridiculous in itself considering I paid £239.99 for an aftercare service! In any case, after being told I could either ring back or wait for a call back within 24hrs due to "high call volumes" I decided to wait for a call back and not spend any more than I already had at this point.

When I did receive a call back 4hrs later I explained the various problems with my machine that had now completely stopped working, in addition to my kitchen having flooded when I had to open the door to try and get my locked-in washing back out. The assistant placed me on hold and when returned stated the engineer has advised he could order parts beforehand and asked for a serial number that she insisted would be on the inside of the machine on the rim, however I explained that the sticker must have come off or been removed with the previous door (as the machine has already been once repaired by Comet due to a fault, during which I was without the machine for over a week) and was definitely no longer there. I was again placed on hold and the assistant reiterated that the sticker "must be there" to which I again assured her that it wasn't and in any case, since the details of my machine were on the system surely that would be sufficient since you know the machine is a Hotpoint washer dryer model WDL540G (details of which are on the insurance documents).

I was then informed that the details held were not enough to order parts beforehand and that I would "definitely need more than one call out", the first simply to establish the serial number which as I have already said is no longer there!!!! I was told that this was how it must be and then, after being placed on hold again, was informed the earliest first call out would not be until a week away on 23rd November 2011. I explained that this was not good enough as I have four children and cannot be without a machine for this length of time, let alone a further period of however long ordering parts would be, however the assistant clearly was not concerned and said she would add me to a cancellation list but nothing else could be done.

I was really angry about this situation for a number of reasons; firstly the insistence that the engineer could not prepare for a call out without the serial number despite knowing the make and model of the machine (as confirmed in a text message after the call confirming the repair date), and secondly the disregard for the extensive inconvenience being without a machine would cause my large family, especially as I paid £239.99 in the good faith that Comet would provide prompt and efficient after care. I can Google search my machine with the information that you already have on record and return multiple machine parts, including from Hotpoint themselves, but Comet engineers with extensive experience cannot prepare for a call out

On 23.11.11 the 1st engineer visit occurred. The engineer ("Keith") arrived at 12.30hrs and had finished by 13.00hrs. He did not replace any parts and simply cleaned out the pump which he claimed was the cause of all the machine problems. I queried this and I informed him that I felt the issues with the tumble dryer settings were different to the wash settings - however he denied there were any other faults with the machine aside from simply cleaning out the pump. I also asked about replacing the front panel to the machine which has broken off, but he refused to fix this claiming it to be "cosmetic" and not covered by the £239.99 policy I have taken out. I had no option but to take Keith's word that the machine was repaired and after he left I ran a wash cycle which seemed okay; however as suspected when I ran the tumble dryer setting the machine broke down and once again all the lights were flashing and the cycle would not complete. I took a video recording of this fault in case Comet attempted to wriggle out of it again!

I telephoned Comet again on the 10p per min. service number, initially spoke with "Rose" and explained how frustrated I was that my fault had not been repaired, especially as I had already made a formal complaint regards the length of time I had to wait for the service and the excessive inconvenience being without my machine had already caused. I was transferred then to a "Steven" and once again had to repeat my complaint - he then placed me on hold and returned to inform me that the system was showing an "error" on my account and that he could not re-book an engineer. He assured me that I would be contacted “ASAP” by a senior member of staff to deal with the problem and I reiterated how angry I was at the level of service and that I am not prepared to be without my machine any longer. He again assured me I would receive a callback. Not surprisingly no one bothered to phone me back until a day later when another engineer visit was booked for 28.11.11.

A different engineer came on 28.11.11 and, much like the first, did not spend a great deal of time examining the machine and I would say that he had pretty much guessed at the fault by my description of the problems since he did not wait long enough to see the cycle fail for himself. In any case, his 'guess' with the heater box would imply that I was likely to experience further continued problems with my machine as he said the error "most likely" lies with the box becoming clogged with fluff over time which he said is "very common". There is no way to rectify this problem other that via an engineer - since there is a flaw with the design of the machine meaning that the filter cannot be unclogged by myself (as can with other machines) and requires an engineer to take apart the machine to clean it. This is a design flaw that it well known and has been highlighted in at least 3 review sites that I have found and attached below for you to see - one of the review sites is on Comet themselves gaining just 2.5 stars, so clearly they are aware there is a design flaw yet are still selling the machine. I would like to know why the first engineer did not discover this fault even though I made it very clear that I felt the tumble dryer had a separate problem.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews103510.html

http://www.recommendedbuys.co.uk/household-appliances/washer-dryers/hotpoint-wdl-540-g.htm

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Washer-Dryers/buy-HOTPOINT-WDL540G-Washer-Dryer/442453

By now I was still without a working machine and this was now going into the 3rd week before the 'assumed' latest fault could be dealt with. That's 3 weeks without the machine I paid £239.99 to ensure I would never be without due to the necessity of the machine for my family. In the meantime I had written to Bob Darke, Managing Director, with my complaints in November 2011; he did not respond but a “Sarah Stark” at the directors office had been in contact to advise me that she would be “monitoring the situation”. She pointed out to me that if I was unhappy I should "take it to Trading Standards" which I followed up and a complaint was made and consequently handled by a Jemma Robinson, Fair Trading Officer at Bridgend.

By the 7th Dec 2011 the issue was still unresolved. The machine would wash and the drying cycle will run but the clothes would not dry - even after waiting 2 hours the clothes still come out wet. I contacted Sarah Stark at Comet and informed her that the machine was still not fit for purpose and her response was to... SEND ANOTHER ENGINEER!! I asked her what should I expect to be reasonable as I had already had 3 engineer visits over the course of a month and she said that there is no limit.

After a further visit on 09.12.11 the engineer could not find any reason for why my machine was still not drying as he said all the parts were working as they should and so he was "stumped". The only conclusion he could come to was to inform me that my machine was "inefficient" and that I "should not expect the same efficiency as newer models". He also went on to state that "these condenser dryers are known for their inefficiency" and that his only suggestion was to "run some extra spin cycles" to try and get the clothes dryer that way!

It seemed I had paid over £659.98 for a washer dryer plus insurance to have a machine that I cannot expect to dry. But it seemed this is what I was now stuck with since Comet were not interested in helping me further, neither were Trading Standards unless I could pay for an independent survey which I could not afford to do.

I therefore put up with not having a dryer however, once again on 02.02.2012 the original fault resurfaced - I had no working machine at all and another flood in my kitchen I telephoned Sarah Stark at Comet to once again be told I need to wait for another engineer visit and the earliest would not be until 08.02.2012. Once again Sarah Stark, despite patronisingly repeating that she “understood the situation”, informed me that the call-out could not be any sooner and that I would just have to wait whilst she “continues to monitor the situation”. The engineer came on 08.02.2012 and failed to fix the machine. He replaced the pump but informed me that this had not fixed the problem as the alternator had also blown and that he would have to order this part – he informed me this would likely take another week! So here I am again a mother of 4 with no washer or dryer even though Comet happily took £239.99 of my money to ensure this would not happen. I again telephoned Sarah Stark to urge that she must surely authorise a replacement machine as I had paid for new for old cover and had already pointed out as set out in Section 48B of the Sale of Goods Act (1979) "the remedy that the Trader offers you must not cause you ‘significant inconvenience’. However Sarah Stark stated that the machine would not be replaced unless it became un-economical to do so.

I pointed out to Sarah Stark that it could not possibly be economical to have paid for a total of 6 engineer call outs since the machine was purchased, 5 of which having been since November 2011, in addition to the numerous parts that had already been replaced. Sarah Stark responded that each time was a “new issue” and that they did not account for the overall costs – obviously this is how Comet avoid honouring their new for old agreements! Sarah Stark was asked to provide me with a copy of the summaries of each engineer visit and a costing for the call-out and parts in order to evidence the economical costs verses the unacceptable stress and anxieties that Comet have caused thus far, only to be informed that this information would cost me £10! Obviously Comet do not feel they have robbed my family enough yet and now want to charge £10 for data that legally I have been informed should have been provided at each call-out. I have never been presented with a print out at the visits to evidence what work has been carried out at my property.

Having written a formal letter of complaint to Bob Darke MD the case has now been passed to "Angelina" who has been as useless as Sarah Stark. She telephoned me today (15/02/12) to inform me that the parts needed will not be in this week and I just have to wait!!!!!!!!!

Please please help me to bring Comet to justice

Hi kat ,

I think you will have to repost this in the thread you first started which can be found here ,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?327371-Comet-service-a-disgrace

As your problems are ongoing and still not resolved , also it will help the site team regarding any updates or further advice they can give you .

This thread is waiting on an update from pinwin so his case can hopefully be marked ****resolved **** soon.

Regards

GorgieBoy

Well..what can i say

After Comet rang to say new washer and goodwill insurance carry over ( also at a extra cost to me of £15 as the same model as mine was more expensive than it was and they would only go to the amount i had already spent) i got a delivery date for next weds..

surprise surprise i got a message on my answering machine to say the washer was not in stock and wouldnt be available until the a week on monday!:mad2:

Comet can you please give me a job so i can come in and sort out your after care services and your customer care. i have worked in retail all my lfe and i can assure you that if we had treated our customers ( who by the way are the ones who pay our wages) the same way you do...we would have gone bankrupt in 6 months!!!

please refrain from posting links to external websites

it makes us responsible for the content

that one uses words we/you can be libel for

thank you

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

I have my washer..at last, with insurance carried over. Its the same model (hotpoint aquarius wmal 641 6kg a+), i had to pay a little towards it as they would only go to the price i paid for my first washer. i will never ever buy from comet again, and they have just lost two purchases from my friends after i advised them on my situation.

Happy i have my washer at last, not happy with the £20+ phone bill i add to pay to speak to their customer services.

Comet..hang your head in shame

bill 'em!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi pinwin ,

Glad you finally got your replacement washer , certainly a very long week you had to wait 14th Feb till 28th March !

Ongoing since since the middle of January very poor Customer Service all round but you got there in the end well done .

Site Team should now mark this ***** Resolved ***** (At long Last)

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi

This is good news

Agree with GeorgieBoy...very poor customer service but sadly we expect only that from Comet.

I have changed the thread title to reflect your success

Regards

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS