Comets turn their back

Startkey&Clutch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a TV/DVD unit in November but now the DVD part isnt working, it keeps saying 'No disc' when one is loaded. Anyway took it back to Comets who told me it would go off for repair and would take 10 days. That isnt really any good for us as we wont be available (long story) so my wife asked for a replacement, the manager came down and basically said it goes for repair or tough!

I understand the sale of goods act says we can have a repair/replacement/refund but we have to agree to it.

He turned his back and walked away, what do we do next?

sadly they are correct

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi star

Have a read of 10,12 and 13 in my signature.

Ask them for a replacement:- (No 12 in my signature) • If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty).

There is a Comets's rep on this site. Let us now how you get on.

Which branch of Comets was this?

That is abysmal customer service by this clown of a Manager! I would certainly lodging a formal complaint.

As this was only bought some two three months ago, it is cle3ar that it is not fit for purpose and is faulty from the start, so IMO it would be safe to say that this should have been replaced, but if they wish to send it off for repair, then more fool them.

It may come back uneconomical for repair, either way I wouldn't be happy for a 3 month old TV to go on the blink, you should have a strong case for a refund, but you would need to escalate this above this clowns head to someone who has more than one brain cell!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Which branch of comet's was this?

That is abysmal customer service by this clown of a Manager! I would certainly lodging a formal complaint.

As this was only bought some two three months ago, it is cle3ar that it is not fit for purpose and is faulty from the start, so IMO it would be safe to say that this should have been replaced, but if they wish to send it off for repair, then more fool them.

It may come back uneconomical for repair, either way I wouldn't be happy for a 3 month old TV to go on the blink, you should have a strong case for a refund, but you would need to escalate this above this clowns head to someone who has more than one brain cell!

Im such a DIPSTICK, it was Comet not Currys!!!

Anyway its the one at the Ikea retail park, Giltbrook, Nottingham.

Im a little confused, DX has sais that they are right and everyone else is saying they are wrong??

The manager was having none of it, he said it goes for repair, but thats not acceptable to us as we are going away in our caravan and it was purchased for that, in the 10 days he was quoting we will be away and so have no telly.

He just turned around and said I will not refund or replace and walked away, we didnt ask for a refund.

Any idea how to go above him?

Phone their Customer Services up, ask to speak to the Manager, take his name down, tell them what the store manager has said to you and that he is wrong, quote the SOGA to him/her, you want the TV replaced and explain that you will also be forwarding a complaint to Mr. Darke the Managing Director regarding the store manager.

I've changed everything to Comets, the same advice applies.

sri its under 6mts did see that bit

go get 'em.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The managers name at the store was Matt, he came down to see us having been called twice by the sales assistant.

He came down and didnt know anything about our faulty product, how long we had had it, what the fault was etc, he just said it goes for repair or nothing, you wont get a refund or replacement from me or this store.

I spend a lot of money in Comet, sorry, I used to spend a lot of money in Comet, never again!

The outcome of this one should be of interest especially as the product is over 30 days old so therefore the reluctance to exchange or refund is the norm by the retail store .

This seems to be normal policy even if the product was over 36 hours old.

COMET do not like being mentioned in a bad light here on CAG so anything is possible now.

COMETs Retail store wish to the send the product away for a repair as their interpretation of SOGA is somewhat different to other retailers .

Also the ten day away thing sounds rather economic as " how long is a piece of string " would probably be more apt .

Yes indeed you will have to push hard on this one.

Good Luck,

Regards

GorgieBoy

When the manager came he didnt know if it was 30 hours old, 30 days old or 30 years old, the assistant who called him to come down just asked his to come down, so when he came down it was with the sole intention to say NO, he didnt ask what the product was, what the problem was, how old it was or anything else, he was rude, dismissive and boarderline aggressive!

My wife is going to call customer services today so will let you know the outcome of that.

Thats why it's important to educate retailers, the only thing that matters is SOGA, what ever spin retailers want to put regarding their obligations to the consumer is futile. Infact it's embarrassing, I'd love to know how much CEO's of these companies know about SOGA, clearly their staff have little or no understanding.

The outcome of this one should be of interest especially as the product is over 30 days old so therefore the reluctance to exchange or refund is the norm by the retail store .

This seems to be normal policy even if the product was over 36 hours old.

COMET do not like being mentioned in a bad light here on CAG so anything is possible now.

COMETs Retail store wish to the send the product away for a repair as their interpretation of SOGA is somewhat different to other retailers .

Also the ten day away thing sounds rather economic as " how long is a piece of string " would probably be more apt .

Yes indeed you will have to push hard on this one.

Good Luck,

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting this up, is this to do with Currys or Comet as we are two seperate companies?

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team

Comets 100%

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting this up, is this to do with Currys or Comet as we are two seperate companies?

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team

Right, my wife has been in touch with customer services who were quoting the script, so she rang trading standards who have basically said comet are within their rights to do this as the legislation is not clear, she also said that the comet store at Giltbrook, Nottingham has more complaints against it than any other in the area. She went on to say that if the government made the legislation more clear it would cut their workload in half!

Anyway my wife took the tv to a different store and has left it for repair, if it fails again we have a case for a refund, I only want my telly......

For sure we will vote with our feet now.

In the last couple of years I have bought 2 TVs, a tumble drier, Humax freesat recorder, a freeview recorder, a cooker and numerous other things from comet, but whilst ever I have feet I will never set foot in comet again and all because the manager was so rude.

The legislation is pretty clear, how many ways can you interpret the following?

'If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty).'

'so she rang trading standards who have basically said comet are within their rights to do this as the legislation is not clear'

Unlike Supermarkets , Tesco , ASDA ect who will quite happily exchange a faulty Tv most times if a customer returns the product back to the store within the first year.

COMET , CURRYS to mention two , rightly or wrongly have fine tuned SOGA to their interpretation whereby if a product is returned as faulty AFTER 28 days they will insist on sending the product away for EXAMINATION regarding any fault which may or may not require a repair , and will attempt a repair on the product if a fault is found even if this means orderering parts .

In most cases if a product is returned to a Retail Store UNDER 28 days the retail store will exchange the product if the customer shouts loudly enough but if not they will once again tell the customer the product has to be sent away .

As Startkey has posted even Trading Standards are agreeing with COMET in this instance as the guidlines regarding SOGA are so unclear and this will continue to happen until something is written in stone.

This 28 day thing is quite common and after 28 days the retailer is also examining the product to establish the nature of the fault if any and will attempt a repair rightly or wrongly and will return the product back to the customer .

I am afraid the customer is NOT told this at the point of sale ,where at this time nothing is or will be a problem.

If the product fails again even then it is not a certainty the Customer will get a replacement or a refund , but once again the more you shout and complain the more chance you have of getting a result to your satisfaction and especially if the issue is raised here on CAG .

As I have stated , rightly or wrongly at this moment this is how it is and will continue to be for some time :sad:

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

120days

or if mastercard anythign uptp one year or beyond!

dx

and they

Hi rebel11, yes I have been in touch with the credit card, they said the same as trading standards in so much as because comet are offering a remedy then there is no dispute, but if it comes back still faulty or not within the time span then I certainly can dispute it, there are sending me the forms in case.

I have returned faulty things to other stores in the past and they have exchanged without quibble, I should have known better then bother with these clowns and following the behaviour of the manager I will never spend another penny with them.

No wonder they are struggling!

I hope you get this issue resolved but what I find amusing is how people get on their high horse about SOGA and when they ring trading standards they are told that the retailer is right. Guys lets not forget Currys & Comet are multi million pound companies with hundreds of stores in the uk with thousands of staff. Do you really think they would risk working outside of the law ?

I hope you get this issue resolved but what I find amusing is how people get on their high horse about SOGA and when they ring trading standards they are told that the retailer is right. Guys lets not forget Currys & Comet are multi million pound companies with hundreds of stores in the uk with thousands of staff. Do you really think they would risk working outside of the law ?

in all truths this example is very rare s12345a

and YES they do tread over customers all the time

because the selling of worthless ins on commission is more important

dx

and they

Call center operative: You have to talk to Sony as its outside the first 12 months

Store staff member: You have to talk to Sony as its outside the first 12 months

Store manager: You have to talk to Sony as its outside the first 12 months and only has a 1 year warranty (He completely ignored me quoting SoGA)

Executive team (after email to CEO): We'll inspect it (We normally charge you £50 but as a good will gesture we won't), and repair if found to be inherently faulty. (From this point on there is some understanding of SOGA).

Executive team (after repair failed after 30 days): We'll only inspect and repair and are not required to offer any other method of resolution at this time (When in fact in the second + instance a consumer can claim a partial refund as detailed here)

If they are multimillion pound companies, and as you say wouldn't operate outside the law, why is there (from my experience anyway), blatent lack of training / disregard for SOGA throughout most of the company?

Unlike Supermarkets , Tesco , ASDA ect who will quite happily exchange a faulty Tv most times if a customer returns the product back to the store within the first year.

COMET , CURRYS to mention two , rightly or wrongly have fine tuned SOGA to their interpretation whereby if a product is returned as faulty AFTER 28 days they will insist on sending the product away for EXAMINATION regarding any fault which may or may not require a repair , and will attempt a repair on the product if a fault is found even if this means orderering parts .

In most cases if a product is returned to a Retail Store UNDER 28 days the retail store will exchange the product if the customer shouts loudly enough but if not they will once again tell the customer the product has to be sent away .

As Startkey has posted even Trading Standards are agreeing with COMET in this instance as the guidlines regarding SOGA are so unclear and this will continue to happen until something is written in stone.

This 28 day thing is quite common and after 28 days the retailer is also examining the product to establish the nature of the fault if any and will attempt a repair rightly or wrongly and will return the product back to the customer .

I am afraid the customer is NOT told this at the point of sale ,where at this time nothing is or will be a problem.

If the product fails again even then it is not a certainty the Customer will get a replacement or a refund , but once again the more you shout and complain the more chance you have of getting a result to your satisfaction and especially if the issue is raised here on CAG .

As I have stated , rightly or wrongly at this moment this is how it is and will continue to be for some time :sad:

That is the answer in a nutshell I am afraid ! , until things change , but do not hold your breath meantime.

Regards

GorgieBoy

When this was taken to the other store, the manager couldnt have been more pleasant, he even said he didnt agree with the policy, but had to follow it as thats what hes paid to do, I think if we had had him to start with then this thread would not be here, the issue was with the manager. All that attitude does is push customers away and make them want to fight you!

He said you get a repair or nothing, you wont get a replacement from me or this store then turned his back and walked away (clearly he is very important), a simple 'well im sorry but we have to follow this procedure first' would have done wonders.

I think Comet need to get some customer service because at the moment, it doesnt exist, certainly not at Giltbrook Nottingham store anyway.

If this comes back and is still even remotly faulty then believe me, I will scream so loud that everyone will hear it. Trading standards said they will take it up and my card company said they will too, so I will certainly fight them with everything I can.

They clearly don't understand SOGA, it's fairly straight forward, no ambiguity at all. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html