Past Due Credit Solutions - High Admin Fees!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CAG Colleagues

I had a debt with BT to the tune of £480.00 which has now been cleared. Past Due Credit Solutions have added on top of this debt £131.46 in admin fees - to stress, I have not paid this.

To cut a long story short, I wrote to them in June 2011 asking for a full breakdown of their fees. A few days later, I received an acknowledgement letter and that it would look into the matter. However, I was also warned that as the debt belonged to them, there will be admin fees levied as per the BT contract, citing their 'reasonable' fees (I think not!), and PD will reply in 10 working days. Then, nothing.....until the 15th December, when I received another letter from them, requesting the same amount which they promised to investigate.

I wrote a complaint letter to them, stating that it was their responsibility to adhere to deadlines, and requesting another breakdown. I also cited the OFT Leaflet 664 Sec 2.9 Debt Collection Guidance.

I then received another letter from PD on the 29th December, offering me a lower payment offer of £98.06.

I rang the OFT, who advised me to ring the Telephone Ombudsman. I can't do that as I have not made a complaint to BT.

Also rang Consumer Direct, who were stuck as they could not find any legislation on what is termed as 'reasonable', and only a CC Judge can only make the final decision.

I have dealt with Debt Collection Agencies in the past, and they have been happy to waive the admin fees as soon as you mention the words OFT. For some reason, Past Due seem to be ignoring this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Do what the OFT told you to do, you do not have the arguement with BT, it is with their collections procedure. That is what is causing this issue - listen to the OFT for once, they are tightening up on legislation and trying to put a stop to the 'drip feed' effect the DCAs are having on the shaky economy.

If you don't complain as directed by the OFT then you are wasting your time posting on this forum.

They can only apply fees that are the actual cost.. so they would most likely have to provide an accurate accounting if they decided to get funny and go to court. However, I also think that as you have paid the actual amount due, they cannot start litigation purely for their costs.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Do contact the Telephone Ombudsman as advised though. They are agents of BT and are equally responsible for the actions of the DCA :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Sillygirl

I have rang the Telephone Ombudsman, and they have referred be back to the OFT, as this is classed as a 3rd party involved debt, which they only deal with the telecommunication side of things. I'm going back to the OFT and see what else they suggest.