Complaining under the CCA 1974

deemacperth
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I haven't seen a standard letter, so I've knocked one up. I would ask that everyone that can complain, do so. The more dodgy DCA's and banks we get brought to heel, the better it is for the consumer in the long run.

[Your name]

The Director General

Office of Fair Trading,

Fleetbank House,

2-6 Salisbury Square,

LONDON,

EC4Y 8JX

Dear Sir / Madam

Consumer complaint under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

I would like to draw your attention to [Whomever] who have breached my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ("the Act").

[Whomever] are pursuing me for an alleged debt on behalf of [Whomever]. This is for a DCA, edit if not your circumstances I sent a request in exercising my rights under section 78 (1) of the Act requesting a true copy of the alleged agreement, this is enclosed. [Whomever] are obliged to supply these documents, under Section 189 of the Act. [Whomever] have claimed the Act does not apply to the alleged agreement as they claim it has been terminated. At no time have I received a signed true copy of the default notice as proscribed by section 87 of the Act or a copy of the termination notice as proscribed by section 98 of the Act. This is additional for my circumstances, if they have told you your acount is terminated/defaulted and you haven't ever received notice of such, then it isn't.

[Whomever] have failed to comply with my request within the 30 days as laid down by statute and have committed a criminal offence as proscribed by the Act.

I would ask that the office of fair trading take action against [Whomever] for their clear breach of consumer rights. My requests for information and clarification with [Whomever] has been met with a flurry of misleading and misrepresented information regarding my consumer rights, contrary to Section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act 1988 and Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. This is additional for my circumstances, if they have told you complete porkys or threatened you with Court, bailiff visits, etc then leave this in. If they haven't, take it out.

For the reasons stated above, it is my belief that [Whomever] are not fit to hold a consumer credit licence and seek revocation of the same.

Yours faithfully,

[Your name]

Cc [Whomever] Send them a copy, let them sweat

Cc Trading Standards Institute Send trading standards a copy as well.

If anyones got any improvements, lets get them added and make a default letter.

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

Another sample letter, but to Trading standards and complaining about credit card companies breaching section 85 as well.

[You]

[Local Trading standards office

for the companies registered office]

Dear Sir / Madam

Consumer complaint under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

[Your account number]:

XXXXXXXXXX

I would like to draw your attention to [Whomever] who have breached my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ("the Act").

I sent a request exercising my rights under section 78 (1) of the Act requesting a true copy of the original credit agreement, this is enclosed. [Whomever] are obliged to supply these documents, under the Act.

[Whomever] have failed to comply with my request within the 30 days as laid down by statute and have committed a criminal offence as proscribed by the Act.

I must also point out [Whomever]failure to comply with section 85 (1) of the act which states:

85 Duty on issue of new credit-tokens

(1) Whenever, in connection with a credit-token agreement, a credit-token (other than the first) is given by the creditor to the debtor, the creditor shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it.

During the lifetime of my credit-token agreement, I have never been issued with a copy of the executed agreement when receiving a new credit-token. This is a clear breach of the quoted section.

I would ask that the trading standards office take action against [Whomever] for their clear breach of consumer rights. My requests for information and clarification with [Whomever]have been met with silence.

For the reasons stated above, it is my belief that [Whomever] are not fit to hold a consumer credit licence and seek revocation of the same.

Yours faithfully,

[You]

Cc [Whomever]

Cc Office of Fair Trading

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Please note that consumers aren't meant to complain to the OFT direct, that's why you should write to the Trading Standards for the companies registered office.

You can find it by sticking the post code of their registered office here:

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

Send a copy to the OFT at the same time, it can't hurt.

• Confused 1

I think you need to say "I believe they have commited a criminal offence!"

BOS

Claim No.3 for £589.75+8%, Decree received, Sheriffs Officers instructed to serve a charge 21/4!

Claim No.4:- claiming £1507.00, Court Papers submitted 5/4 !

Section 78 (6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) if the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

As set out by statute, I've asked, they've failed.

But your not a judge and jury so I don't think you should say they have commited an offence. I think you need to say "I believe" they have commited an offence!

BOS

Claim No.3 for £589.75+8%, Decree received, Sheriffs Officers instructed to serve a charge 21/4!

Claim No.4:- claiming £1507.00, Court Papers submitted 5/4 !

I'll let them try and sue me for libel. :rolleyes:

But, if it makes anyone less nervous, you can enter the word 'believe'