Issues with Council House

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I have recently moved into a council house, and would like some help with a few things.

1) There is a mold problem in the house. We were told that there was no mold problem, despite the officer telling us this being in the same room as the giant wall of mold when we were shown the flat, us pointing out the mold to him, and him stating it was not mold. I had it cleaned with mold killer when I moved in, but its coming back. This may be related to my second issue.

2) The windows are all double glazed, but the door is one of the original council style wooden front doors with a huge safety glass pane taking up the top half of the door. The previous tenant must have had a cat, as there was a huge hole in the bottom from what I suspect is a cat flap. This has been covered with a bit of bare MDF nailed to the door. The house is always cold as there is a draught coming in and glass in the window is always soaked with condensation, so much it drips all down the door. The council originally told me it could be replaced, but have recently changed their tune to "Repaired". The repair guy put the small bristly plastic draught excluders on the door, but did nothing about the hole, and the glass is still letting all the cold in.

The house is never warm, the radiatiors dont seem to make any difference.

What can I do?

Edited by MrJohnM

I would get onto the environmental health department and ask that they come out for an inspection. You should find the number for them on your councils website.

Do you have any children there living with you.

Have you any health problems.

Mould can and will damage your respiratory system if not treated. The most common way to get rid of mould is to get rid of condensation or in simple terms stop breathing! The good news is that the council should install a ventilator. This draws in fresh air from the outside and reduces condensation.

You can thank all the environmentalists and tree huggers for this problem because to keep them happy the government deemed that houses should be extremely well insualted to prevent hot air gases from houses entering our atmosphere. Unfortunately this worked too well causing your mould problem.

We also have the t-shirt!

Well, the problem is now FAR more serious. I went to turn my mattress and found the mattress, pillows, floor and wall underneath covered with black mold. My partner has asthma and we have 2 small kittens in the house, so the room has been sealed off for now. I will be phoning the council in the morning. We have both been ill for the last 2 weeks, and only lived in the property for just over a month. We cant afford to replace any of these goods, and its the councils fault they have been wrecked.

Any advice on what to do?

Take photos, get on to environmental health ASAP!

It may help to go to your GP, show him the photos and get your GP to write a letter to the housing dept and environmental dept stating that the mould is detrimental to your health.

We have both made appointments with Doctors, and the council are sending a guy round to do a damp inspection. Very concerned about the supposed 4 month waiting list for mold and damp issues to be resolved.

Hi

Also i would demand that the council housing send out a 'Clerk of Works' to inspect the damp/mould and the front door (due to the hole that has been covered with mdf and only nailed in) therefore the front door being like this makes the property insecure as anyone from outside could prise these off gaining access to the property. If this was to happen as you have informed them you will therefore hold them responsible should anything happen. That you want a copy of the report in writing sent to you. Due to the front door only being temporarily repaired would your house insurance cover it bear this in mind get there answer in writing to cover yourself.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group