advice please... re claimed debt by Capquest old Next Account

lynd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have changed thread title for you :)

Hmm, well it looks like CapQuest might have returned the debt to Next who have now resold it to Lowells.

IMHO, this is wrong.

I would think you need to send the CCA letter (link below) , but enclose a covering letter with it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974

I would suggest the following..

"I am in receipt of your letter dated DATE" in which you advise you are now the owner of the above referenced account. This is quite surprising in that on DATE, CapQuest informed me, they were the legal owner of this account.

I would also advise that CapQuest are still in default of a legal request to provide a copy of the Agreement (made by way of a CCA1974 request enclosing the statutory fee of £1.00) , which they and now you claim, underpins your right to purchase and pursue for this account.

If you are indeed now the owner of this account, then I would expect you to be able to provide the above and I am making the same request of you,

although having already paid the £1.00 statutory fee, this is not enclosed.

Yours etc. "

Then enclose a new request.. Where it says that you are enclosing the statutory fee put in brackets. (See attached letter, this fee has already been paid)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

evening..

I had (or rather lodger had) a reply saying that they acknowledged receipt of the letter

and that they were asking Next to send them over the credit agreement paperwork and all statements

(wouldn't they have that if they bought the debt??).

They said that this may take longer than the statutory 12 days plus 2 and they would write if there was any delay.

Can they do that?

Take longer I mean?

Or do they have to comply within that limit .

She also received another letter prior to this one (it must've been sent out before they received our letter)

asking her to phone them or they would some someone to the house to discuss.

. again can they do that?

thanks

They can do what they want to attempt to collect short of taking legal action,

however, as the debt is now in dispute (nad has been since the original CCA request)

they risk being reported for harassment.

If someone calls just tell them to go away and never return for the same reasons and tell them that if they are daft enough to call again so will the police.

They will always do what they want, money to them is like oxygen to the rest of us, tell them to try holding their breath whilst counting their precious money!

This is exactly how doing the right thing, by responding, ends up with the rather tedious puerile game of letter tennis.

When they fail to send you the CCA, then send them the failed letter from the library and ignore them until they come up with the evidence.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

afternoon.

we've received another letter saying that they're asking Next for the CCA (as they said in their last letter too.. hey ho).

The 12 plus 2 days is up next Wednesday and they said that there might be a delay in getting the agreement from Next

- question, is the 12 plus 2 days the limit they can have or do we have to wait and take it from there?

ta :)

No, they know the time limits, so once they are out of time, (Weds) then you can send them the 'failed' letter, then wait for them to comply with your request.

Whilst they are in default of your request then they can do everything they feel is necessary to intimidate you, but they cannot take any enforcement action against you, ie. Court.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...

received another letter from Lowells to say that Next are still trying to retrieve, from their archive, the Agreement... but, at the moment, the matter is on hold. They've received the failure to comply letter and it was signed for on the 18th. Now what do we do... ?

thanks

Ignore them, go and do something more interesting like watching paint dry.

Get on with your life.

If there are any fees/charges that Next might have added to the account, I might be minded to get these refunded, however, it just

makes them think they have your attention.

Forget it until they come up with the correct documents.

• 1 month later...

evening people.

another letter received to say that Lowell have spoken to Next to gain the 'supposed' documents and, due to the length of the account Next can't supply them as they are unavailable and Lowell have closed the account. The last paragraph says 'unless Next supply the information it will remain closed' (or something similar). Well, how can they supply it when they've said it doesn't exist!!!.. Question is - will this still remain on her credit rating until it get's Statute Barred? Which seems slightly unfair as both CapQuest and Lowells couldn't prove the debt.. thanks

Well Done!

There is a bone of contention regarding the processing of data where an agreement doesn't exist, IMO and I stress that this is purely IMO, they should not be doing so, not only should a formal complaint be sent to the CRA's reporting this inaccurate info on YOUR file, but the ICO should be informed also.

IF the DCA/OC will not/does not/can not remove the data then your only recourse would be legal action against both parties the DCA and the CRA.

A S10 DPA letter may well point them in the right direction as to stop processing your data....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387321-S10-Notice-To-Cease-Processing-of-Data

• 2 weeks later...

evening..

more development. Lowell have provided some information. They've provided a reconstituted agreement (unsigned) and have said that they do not need to provide the signed copy together with 3 statements from 2011, July, August and September. Spare Daughter did not live at that address then. There is also an email address which isn't hers. I guess they've proved it - the only thing that concerns me is that, at the beginning of January Next said that they did not have the information - but all of a sudden they do... any advice would be useful. If she has to pay the balance then what is the best way to do this?

ta

Yes post 2007 agreements can be recons, however, as there is some dispute about who opened this account it would be wise to get hold of that signature.

Have you sent a SAR to Next?

Has this been reported to the police as fraud?

No, haven't sent a subject access request to Next. She tells me that the email address is her mother's. Would it be too late to report it as fraud - wouldn't that look like a cop out at this stage. Her mother isn't even in this country anymore (she hasn't spoken to her for years now. I've a feeling that we will have to pay this unfortunately.

Try this SAR http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387310-Targeted-Subject-Access-Request

However, I see a small problem with this, in that I suspect that the signatures won't match? So they will refuse to send it on that basis, if they do, then it is clearly fraud, and can be reported as such.

So ensure she signs the SAR, if they then refuse to supply the info because the sigs don't match then you will have your answer.

As for lowlifes, they can jog on. What was their last threat letter saying?