Damaged Car In Euro Car Park

Bexlian
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last sunday 23rd Oct 2011 I parked my car in the Euro Car Park at Thamesmead. I did some shopping and returned to my car. Seeing that the parking bay in from of me was free it was easier to drive forwards through that one rather than reverse out of the one I was in. In doing so I mpaled the ront of my car on an short metal post sticking out of the ground. It was one of four posts that demark a small bed for a tree and are on the intersection of some (not all) bays. However there is no tree in the bed and once seated in your car it is highly unlikely that you would see the small decorative posts. After the event I went into Morrison who I thought owned the car park to ask what I could do. They are not responsible for it but said that quite a few people had done similar. The dame to the front of the car will cost a fair bit to repair and i don't think I should have to pay this. Do I have a case against Euro Car parks for what I consider to be a hazard in their car park?

I doubt it, as you should of been aware of it when you first pulled in; it would have been visible to you then.

But you can try; write to them and put a claim in, giving all the facts and ask them to pass it on to their insurers and await their response.

You need to send estimate for the repairs, photos of damage and the offending post from the direction you hit it.

good luck.

Yes I have photo's. I do not recall if I saw the posts when I first parked. A point here though. Having done 1/2 hour or so of shopping and just put the goods in the boot and climbed back into the car I would put forward that many folk could quite easily forget that these posts where there. If there was a tree in the bed you'd have a visual trigger.

I suggest that you need to find out from Morrisons who (or how many) others have done the same. If ECP have been made previously aware of the hazard and done nothing to remove or mitigate it then IMO they are liable.

For crying out loud. How on earth can anyone but yourself be at fault here OP. Assuming this was a bed for a tree with 4 posts around it, one could safely assume it was at least 3 feet wide. Add that to the space from the edge of your parking space of say 1-2 feet. If you cannot see 4 feet beyond the front of your car then give up driving.

Typical lets sue somebody cause it aint my fault American style phylosophy.

For crying out loud. How on earth can anyone but yourself be at fault here OP. Assuming this was a bed for a tree with 4 posts around it, one could safely assume it was at least 3 feet wide. Add that to the space from the edge of your parking space of say 1-2 feet. If you cannot see 4 feet beyond the front of your car then give up driving.

You can't see the road area within 4 feet of the bonnet of any car. The first section of road that you can see from my car, and I would expect similar in most cars, is about 12 feet in front. It is the height of the obstruction that becomes important to assist in noticing it in front (short of walking all around your car before setting off which few of us do).

I do not think it is unreasonable to expect to be able to drive forward through 1 bay to the next in a car park and I am sure msot of us do this from time to time to make it easy to drive out forward. If this hazard has already been brought to the attention of Morrisons then I think they should have a duty of care to either remove the hazard or make it more visible.

Sorry crem I don't buy that. Your normally pretty on the ball. But if say it was your toddler that was stood 4 feet in front of this ladies car would you still think the same. If you dont see the road surface 4 feet in front of your bonnet then I really think you need to adjust your driving position.

Sorry crem I don't buy that. Your normally pretty on the ball. But if say it was your toddler that was stood 4 feet in front of this ladies car would you still think the same. If you dont see the road surface 4 feet in front of your bonnet then I really think you need to adjust your driving position.

Try it then!

I did specifically say road area as you are acknowledging, not if something with some height is located at another position closer to your car. I carry out this exercise frequently with learner drivers to ascertain and highlight to them how far in front of their vehicle you can actually see the road surface. In a "standard" car, it will be anywhere around 10 to 15 feet in front of your vehicle before you could see a harzard with minimal height such as a bit of wood or pothole in front of you.

If you had a toddler standing 4 feet in front of your car, he would have a verticle height of maybe 2 to 3 foot which completely changes the characteristics of the point I was making.

Absurbed as it may seem, Pat is spot on here. If there have been other instances of damage of the same nature and ECP have been made aware of it then they have a duty of care to prevent it. I'm sure there is age old precident about this which has been discussed numerous times in other areas of CAG.

What is most odd about the post is that the OP got back to the car and it was still there........in Thamesmead. Afterall someone had obviously had the tree away!!!

Just off to get crash helmet.:whistle:

Hi guys

Sorry to hear you damaged your car Bexlian

I think the guys are right if there was problems in the past and other people have had issues they should have fixed the issue.

Just thought I would mention most car parks have disclaimers. Thought I would remind you guys in case they come back with it

I hope you get this sorted out