UK car insurance co + no claims bonus EU

aa-cag
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has succeeded in finding an Insurer in UK who will recognise a Spanish NCD?? I have just come across this thread after Googling for information on this subject. I have just returned to UK after 11 years in Spain and did not realise that this would be a problem (after all we are in the EU), but my first few calls to companies have been fruitless. So if anyone can suggest which insures will recognise this NCD it will save me hours of sitting on the phone listening to inane music. Thanks in advance.

Just wondering if anyone has succeeded in finding an Insurer in UK who will recognise a Spanish NCD?? I have just come across this thread after Googling for information on this subject. I have just returned to UK after 11 years in Spain and did not realise that this would be a problem (after all we are in the EU), but my first few calls to companies have been fruitless. So if anyone can suggest which insures will recognise this NCD it will save me hours of sitting on the phone listening to inane music. Thanks in advance.

Most companies will, provided the NCD proof is in English and states the number of years claim free.

Which companies did you phone ? ( I ask, as other people who look at this thread may then know which companies to not contact to avoid wasting their time)

Aviva, Direct Line, Churchill, Allianz, Zurich, AXA should all accept suitable proof. Go to a local brokers and they will know which companies they use that will accept the Spanish NCD proof.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Wow, that was a quick response, thanks.

My Spanish insurer is LineaDirecta, and they say they will provide me with all the relevant details in English when I cancel the policy, so my first call for UK insurance was to Direct Line and guess what, they won't accept NCD from LineaDirecta.

I have also spoken to Churchill and they only accept UK NCD.

I tried SAGA and they will ask their underwriters on Monday but think they will only accept the NCD from a recognised UK insurer, and although the name seems to be the same this does not include LineaDirecta.

I will try a few more that have been suggested and then visit a local broker if I am stuck.

Meanwhile, anyone who has managed to get their Spanish NCD accepted, please enlighten me.

Thanks

Wow, that was a quick response, thanks.

My Spanish insurer is LineaDirecta, and they say they will provide me with all the relevant details in English when I cancel the policy, so my first call for UK insurance was to Direct Line and guess what, they won't accept NCD from LineaDirecta.

I have also spoken to Churchill and they only accept UK NCD.

I tried SAGA and they will ask their underwriters on Monday but think they will only accept the NCD from a recognised UK insurer, and although the name seems to be the same this does not include LineaDirecta.

I will try a few more that have been suggested and then visit a local broker if I am stuck.

Meanwhile, anyone who has managed to get their Spanish NCD accepted, please enlighten me.

Thanks

I see Direct Line and Churchill have changed, as they did accept foreign NCD proof awhile back.

I see Elephant Insurance ( part of Admiral) accept foreign NCD. This is from their site.

"Will you accept No Claims Bonus proof from abroad?

We can accept proof of No Claims Bonus from any EU country so long as it is in writing and we can confirm the bonus with the insurer if necessary. The proof document must show your No Claims Bonus in years and not as a percentage. We can only accept No Claims Bonus from the EU. "

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Budget Insurance also accept foreign NCD proof, but they are not recommended by people ( bad service reviews). This is from their site.

We currently accept proof of no claims discount from all countries, the criteria is as follows:

• The date of expiry of the previous motor insurance must be shown
  • The name of the policyholder must be shown
  • The amount of no claims discount in years must be stated. This can be shown using 'from' and 'to' dates
  • The claims and accident history must be confirmed
  • The proof must have been issued and dated within the previous 2 years and must no longer be in force
  • Foreign proof of no claims discount is only acceptable when the letter is written in English on the motor insurance company's headed paper and translations must be stamped by the translator

Quote me happy.com ( Aviva) accept Spanish NCD. ( see here )

• 5 months later...

I have just been through this problem.

i insured in Spain with liberty seguros then returned to the UK.

I found that AVIVA will accept foreign no claims BUT .... the Spanish insure will only give the NCD in percentage so AVIVA are refusing to accept it it MUST BE NCD IN YEARS and in English.

The SPanish insurers refuse to help our so I know face losing a full no claim discount from 18 years PLUS being they will refuse to insure my car in the UK withoutat least 1 years No Claims.

I think we joined the EEC in 1970?? What have they been doing for the past 44 years? Cant even standardise something this simple.

Paul

You just plug a way and get liberty to confirm in writing the number of years no claims.

• 2 months later...

Hi there;

I'm having the same problem: my Portuguese insurance company can only issue a NCD in percentage, which UK insurers do not seem to accept...

Any solutions to this?

Hi there;

I'm having the same problem: my Portuguese insurance company can only issue a NCD in percentage, which UK insurers do not seem to accept...

Any solutions to this?

It may be a percentage, but it relates to having Insurance for so many years without a claim. They can do it if they wanted to, but obviously cannot be bothered. My experience is that foreign Insurers will provide the NCD proof in years, if you keep on at them. Eventually someone will type up a letter and send it to you.

Hi there;

Any solutions to this?

For a UK Insurer to accept it the following needs to be done.

Written in English on Portugese Insurers headed paper.

State the period when you were insured eg from until.

State any accidents or claims or if none made specifically state you were claim free

• 10 months later...