New Puppy

little teacup
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4615 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

We have got a gorgeous chocolate labrador puppy. The only thing is she will insist on pee-ing on the carpet. We have papers all over the place but she is determined to go on the carpet. Any ideas on how to get her onto the paper??

She is quite happy to poop on the paper.:noidea:

LT

Hello there and congratulations on your new baby. I bet she is gorgeous. Any chance of a photo :)? If you bought her from a breeder, did they give you any advice? Otherwise, you could ring them for more information. I spoke to our puppy's breeder a few times when he was new.

Teddy is my first ever dog, a Cavalier King Charles, and we've had him for a couple of years now, so we're past those problems and they do stop :). Our breeder said to put him outside first thing in the morning and then every hour or so until he did what we needed, and then bring him back into the house. Other than that, I was at home all day and kept an eye on his behaviour when he needed a pee. But my best adviser was the breeder who understood CKCs.

I'm sure people who know far more than me will be along, but have you had a look at the breed website for advice for instance if the breeder can't help?

I look forward to seeing how she gets on. Good luck.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB

Yes all that good advice is just what her breeder said! But Ruby shows no signs of wanting to pee.

She just walks along and all of a sudden pees! Its a good job she is very very cute!

Anyway decided to treat her everytime she pees on the paper and its working!!!!!

Oh labs and their tummies.

Rubys First day (17).jpg Here she is on her first day with us.

LT

Hi Little Teacup,

Congratulations...Ruby looks gorgeous.

Some pups latch on quicker than others, it's patience, trial and error to see what works best.

When she pees on the carpet, put a good wodge of kitchen towel on top, and stand on it..it will soak most of it up. Then, use the wet kitchen towel (wear gloves) to dampen the newspaper you've put down, to "scent it" for her. You can also put it down in the area of the garden where she's supposed to wee.

Most likely times she will go are after waking up, after a meal or drink or if she's excited so work around that and take her outside, going with her, tell her "be quick" when she starts weeing and make a big fuss after she does.

Keep using the same phrase (whatever phrase you choose) so she associates it with the action, then start saying it as soon as you go outside.

If she starts to do it on carpet, just calmly say nooooo, pick her up and whisk her to the newspaper or outside. No smacking or shouting, obviously as that would confuse her more. All the family need to be consistant too.

Biological laundry liquid is good for cleaning the carpet patches, as it digests the proteins that cause the smell....

I'm sure others will havetheir own tips too...

Good luck!

Elsa x

Thanks Elsa,

There is no end to your knowledge!(thank goodness).

I haven't owned a puppy for 30 years, ohh I feel old saying that.

No, there is no smacking in this house and no rubbing noses in the "business".

No doubt I will be back for advice. Thank you both for the comments on Ruby :-)

Ruby's Third day (8).jpg

LT

PS I must state I was still at school when I had my last puppy!!!!!!