DVLA - Notification (again)

Beardy77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, having read a lot of your advice on previous threads i thought it would be best to post to see if i can get some idea of how to handle my little problem.

Back in 2008 i owned a car which i sold, after selling i posted the V5 off to DVLA.

not long after that i moved home, and thought nothing of it, until i bought myself a little car to run around in and register in my name.

Within days of regestering this car i recieved a letter from Inter Credit International, saying that my vehicle was untaxed and i was liable.

This was in February of this year!!!!

I know for a fact i posted the V5 off as it was the day after i sold it, and after many years in the motor trade i should know how to do it.

But they were non stop with letters demanding payment, when i rang to say i didnt own the car they were expecting me to pay, "Oh sorry sir that would be dealt with by our Glasgow office!"

So i thought a letter would suffice, in the letter i stated my case that i had not owned the vehicle for a number of years, i gave specific dates and also a name and address of the person i sold it to, i even explained how i wouldnt overlook such a think due to my motor trade background.

I recieved the snottiest letter from somebody called Carole, who basically went on to say, she didnt care about the details i sent her and i am still liable, the car was re-registered to somebody in 2010 (without the V5 i sent???) she also had the nerve to say that being from the motor trade i should know better, obviously im just using bits of the letter but they are not accepting the fact that it could have been lost in the post!

I have now recieved a letter from a PW Moody acting on behalf of the DVLA, who are threatening court action.

I am NOT paying money i do not own when the person who bought the vehicle couldnt tax the vehicle themselves, i should not be held responsible!

If anyone has any helpful advice i would much appreciate it.

Just as a side note, the vehicle was re-registered in 2010, now is it me or do i have to notify DVLA for change of ownership as they seem to think i owned the vehicle at that time and how would somebody register a car in their name without my consent?

I am as confused as the next person but i need to get to the bottom of this.

dvla issued a majistrates summons against me for not informing them i sold the vehicle, i did

they phoned me up asking why i am defending and i said that i would argue any defence in court

two days before court i get a letter stating they have withdrawn the summons

only later did i fnd out on the court day 20 people still were fined in court

its economics with court and dvla own legal fees, nice little earner

just state you will be defending any action and plenty of people on the forum, including me ave been in your position and know how to deal with it

dont give into the gestapo thugs from dvla

defend and they will run a mile

The people who lose to the DVLA seem to be ones who don't understand the relevant legislation, as in the case of Paul Kennedy, he quite correctly said that he sent the document to DVLA - which legally, is all that is required - he was found guilty at Magistrates Court because, according to the DVLA prosecutor, 'he could not prove that they had received it' After finding the relevant information on this forum he appealed to the Crown Court and won - DVLA did not even contest the appeal!!!

It makes you wonder how many other innocent people are found guilty on the same false claims by DVLA prosecutors.

Just a thought......

If DVLA have a number of cases in the same court session, if an early case is correctly contested and the person is found not guilty, the magistrate may become aware of the false claims by the prosecutor, and realising that, finds the rest of the cases 'not guilty' - DVLA are aware of it and if they think that someone knows what to say in court and may be found not guilty, they withdraw their summons as they don't want anyone to upset their money making racket!

Edited by Raykay

You are 100% correct Raykay. You have summarised DVLA procedures on a range of their false claims from Late Licensing Penalty to Failure to Notify. The question is how do we help put a stop to this?