Bensons for Beds

louiserawlings01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks Conniff. The letter we sent recorded delivery was worded with legal phrases and giving them a deadline for removing the mattress and giving us a full refund. We attached photos showing the dip in the bed. Is there any way we can post photos here? My daughter is a law graduate and wrote the letter for me. If they don't respond, we will start the small claims process.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can post pics. Click on the icon of a tree in a picture frame to the right of the envelope above.

Did the latter make time of the essence, that way you could have charged them storage on expiration of that date.

Yes, we gave them ten working days for a response, stating that we wanted the mattress removed and a full refund. I will try to attach two photos. I like the idea of charging them storage. I will have no mattress for two months, so will be sleeping on duvets I think. We are short of beds over the Christmas period as we have visitors.

I tried to attach a photo, but no idea how to with all this url business. If you see the photo of the bed, it pretty much says it all. I did contact the bed federation today, and they said they would forward my email to Bensons and Relyon. Would you believe, Bensons then finally acknowledged my complaint and said they will respond when they have the FIRA technician's report.

I can't add photos as I don't have enough posts apparently :(

Edited by MzGu

Hammer Bensons, complain to their head office and complain to trading standards. the bed I bought 8 years ago was water damaged, and their offer of compo was £50 and to keep the bed????

If these clowns are still trying it on now, then they need exposing and shutting down.

Drop a line of complaint to BBC Watchdog, I did, and even had a response from them and they came round to film & photograph the bed and they said if they received more complaints they were going to run a story

http://https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I tried looking for the local trading standards on the council website, but it just refers people to CAB. I will indeed hammer Bensons, and will not give up. I am going to have to book some sessions with a chiropractor now, I can't believe how painful my back is getting, I'm starting to limp.

Did you ever get your bed replaced or a refund?

I will check out the BBC link too. When I was in the shop, I could hear them spouting the same old rubbish about how great they are, to other customers!

Well, keep the receipts for any chiro appointments then these can be added to your small claim.

As for me and my bed, I told them it would be outside for them to collect, and they refunded me the money, after a bit of arguing!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Well the FIRA technician did as we expected. Despite him noting a 3.4cm sag and loss of support, he claimed that in a mattress less than two weeks old, this is normal. I can't even sleep on the darn thing!!

Bensons said tough, then my husband discussed an article about FIRA which was in the Guardian, saying how they come down 90% in favour of retailers. They then said we could have an 80% refund. So let me get this straight.

1) The shop assistant sees a photo, says it is definitely sinkage and they agree a replacement. All their mattresses are junk, latex, foam or the cr@p I was lumbered with.

2) They claim the mattress is normal, but agree to take it away and refund me 80%. If it was normal, would they honestly do that?

We have informed them we will pursue for the 20% through the Small Claims Court. I need to get the count up to 10 so I can post the pictures!

Post ten. See if I can attach a photo. The photo is taken after straightening the fitted sheet, pulling it tight, and then sliding my hand across where I sleep. FIRA measured sinkage at 3.4cm, I measured at 5cm, but it obviously depends which point is measured.

grr still can't post, will try post 11

Have a read of SOGA .

It clearly states that if you have complained and rejected the goods in a reasonable time then you are entitled to a full refund.

80% is close, but not close enough, well done for telling them you will pursue them for the remainder.

I fail to see what they don't get about faulty goods?

Or Customer service for that matter!

If you have been ringing them, then don't forget all you're talking to is someone whose previous job was flipping burgers.

I think it is time to get their final decision on the matter, and maybe contact this guy http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=c-80534

My husband has just emailed them. We will not let this drop. We will take to Small Claims. Bensons is well aware that we will do this, and do it we most certainly will.

Interesting article in The Guardian re FIRA and Bensons.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jan/12/bensons-for-beds-mattress-guarantee-nightmare

We have already quoted the relevant Act to them, as quoted to us by a solicitor, but Bensons don't have a clue.

It boils down to FIRA claiming a 3.4cm sag in a mattress and loss of support (the exact words of the FIRA agent in his report) is acceptable in the eyes of Bensons and FIRA. All this on a mattress just two weeks old.

Time for a drink I think :)

Well, you want a full refund then, OR maybe it is just this mattress, ie this particular one that you have, perhaps a replacement of the same make 'might' not be so poor?

At least then you can say that you have given them plenty of options to sort out your problem, and if the second one goes the same way then you WILL be entitled to a full refund, not that your not now.

The mattress is truly horrible. I have flown around the world, as cabin crew, for years, and never in my life have I slept on a mattress like this! It really is like lying on sand, there is just no give in it at all (supposedly a "softer mattress"). I just need to spread the word about Bensons.

We have just bought a holiday home, and guess who will not be getting the order for five new beds! I will stick with John Lewis in future, I was a fool to go elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from April 2013

Had FIRA back out to faulty bed and this time he agreed that the bed was faulty as the springs had collapsed in the mattress, which was causing severe dipping.

Bensons told us to select a replacement bed from their shop. We tried all the beds in the shop and could not find a suitable replacement.

I contacted Bensons again to demand a refund and was told that I could not have one as it was over 12 months since purchase

(this would not have been the case if FIRA hadn't cancelled 3 appointments), I pointed this out but to no avail.

I then told them I would be taking it to the small claims court and the press.I was then offered a £60 upgrade (which I declined)

After much persistence with the jobs worth on the phone he finally agreed to give a full refund on return of the bed.

This has taken over 12 months to sort out.

During all of this I have found that Bensons feel that 2 inch(50mm) dip is acceptable.

I would never buy anything from Bensons beds again as they knew there was a problem with the Airflow 5000 beds and hadn't acted upon it but continued to sell them.

We have now bought a Harrison bed and it's like sleeping on a cloud best bed we have ever bought and well worth the extra cost

If you are having problems with Bensons please do not give up hope, keep on fighting them as we did. Good luck.

Well done Sue. Bensons are collecting my mattress tomorrow and offered us 80% refund on the cost of it. That is not acceptable and we will be taking them to the small claims court for the rest, and we also have the paperwork to notify visa (we paid by visa credit card). The mattress is less than a month old, and as you say, FIRA seem to think a 3.4cm dip is "normal". Try telling my back that!

They wouldn't refund 80% if they thought for one second it was normal, we all know that. I won't be giving up. They sell a heap of junk. My John Lewis mattress won't be here for another four weeks or so, so I will have to make do with another bed for a while.

Well done Sue. Bensons are collecting my mattress tomorrow and offered us 80% refund on the cost of it. That is not acceptable and we will be taking them to the small claims court for the rest, and we also have the paperwork to notify visa (we paid by visa credit card). The mattress is less than a month old, and as you say, FIRA seem to think a 3.4cm dip is "normal". Try telling my back that!

They wouldn't refund 80% if they thought for one second it was normal, we all know that. I won't be giving up. They sell a heap of junk. My John Lewis mattress won't be here for another four weeks or so, so I will have to make do with another bed for a while.

Good for you keep up the fight.

I was determined and wouldn't accept any thing less than a full refund.including delivery charge

Bensons beds are part of the Steinhoff Group who also own Harveys and many bed manufacturing companies (look them up on the net you will be surprised as to who they do own).

I'm now 2 months on with my Harrisons pillow top bed and its heaven well worth the money.

Let me know how you get on. good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. We sent detailed copies of everything to visa and to Bensons who both acknowledged these promptly. We gave Bensons four weeks to come up with a response. Exactly four weeks later we had a call to say that our mattress was to be sent to the shop for sale as nothing was wrong with it, but they got a technician to check it again who said it was normal but out of tolerance. How can that be normal?! They then offered to refund the rest of our money. The thought of re-selling the mattress is beyond belief, especially when a FIRA technician had reported sinkage, roll and loss of support. There was no way I was going to give up, and fortunately they saw sense. My new mattress from John Lewis hasn't arrived yet, so I am sleeping on one from the guest room. So comfy I am sleeping much longer!

• 5 months later...

Emailed BFB last week, no automated reply acknowledgement, phone call from rep Richard who asked to send in pics of my complaint which i did. Still no acknowledgment from them. Will be calling later to get this matter i have brought to a close. If no joy then i will just keep phoning, after all they were quick enuff to take my money but as peeps say, their after sales is horrendous.

Hi bigstevie67

Welcome to CAG

Please start your own thread, do not ring them, write emails or letters. Over the phone they will just spout rubbish and there will be no paper trail.

Emailed BFB last week, no automated reply acknowledgement, phone call from rep Richard who asked to send in pics of my complaint which i did. Still no acknowledgment from them. Will be calling later to get this matter i have brought to a close. If no joy then i will just keep phoning, after all they were quick enuff to take my money but as peeps say, their after sales is horrendous.

I have no choice but to phone, they are not replying to emails.