road tax - dvla

aban4803
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4657 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can some one please help me.

My road tax run out in march and during that time I was heavily pregnant and had operation and was in hospital, I did not use my car at all as it was parked in my driveway.

I have now received a reminder letter from the dvls stating that I have to pay a fine of £80 for taxing the vehicle even though know the vehicle is taxed.

Is there a way I can avoid paying this fine.

Please help me as I am very stressed and worried.

Any sample letters to send to DVLA will be much appreciated.

Many thanx

Dear aban4803,

I am sorry that you are in this stressful position. Unfortunately it is difficult to advise you without further information.

What are the details on the 'reminder letter', should there have been a 'not' after 'a fine of £80 for' as it make a difference; you may have been liable for different penalties according to exactly the sequence of events:-

Assuming that you are living at the address registered with DVLA, you should have received a reminder/renewal form (V11) before the expiry of your licence. If you did not register the vehicle as off the road (sorn'd) at that time, you were required to renew the licence. Can I also assume from your post that this coincided with your medical situation which, whilst understandable, unfortunately does not obviate the need to comply?

You say that the vehicle is now licenced, but how did you obtain the licence and on what date? If you had lost the V11 renewal form and used form V10, this will only allow back tax to the month in which applied so there could have been a period neither covered by tax nor sorn.

Some penalties are from strict liability, others may be mitigated. Whilst the forum is not needing to know the details of your hospitalisation, the length and urgency may have relevance with regard to this.

Do you see why it is necessary to give more information?

Be assured that once you have provided more details, specific advice will be forthcoming. Try not to let this situation stress you out too much.

Regards

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you