Scrapped Car, no CoD, DVLA and Inter-Credit International chasing 'payment'

cderson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

A few years ago my car was scrapped. It was left at a relatives house, and they handled this. It seems all the paper-work was in order, but I never got a CoD (didn't know I should have expected one). There is a chance it will be with my relatives (and yes, I know I should have done this myself, but at the time it seemed reasonable).

Shortly afterwards I moved house and forgot about it.

I've now received a couple of letters from Inter-Credit International - the first was very anonymous so I iognored it based on advice elsewhere in this forum. The second is explicit, and demands payment of an £80 fine for not taxing the car.

I've checked, and the DVLA do not seem to show the vehicle as scrapped.

So I'm in limbo. I'm going to write to the DVLA and explain that the vehicle was scrapped, but that I did not get a CoD. From the other posts on this forum it looks like they will try and fine me £80 anyway - do I have any possibility of avoiding this?

I don't think I would say I didn't get a CoD at the time. If you are confident that everything was in order and done correctly at the time, I would simply maintain that position and that although you are confident you received the CoD at the time, you no longer have it in your possesion after several years as you saw no need to retain it for such a length of time.

If you can recall the company that was used to dispose of the vehicle, that would be helpful to your case.

Yes just tell them all your paper work was in order and you completed all the correct procedures, after this length of time you can't be expected to pull out a random document at will. And whatever you do, don't waste your time on Inter-Credit or even bother responding to them, I KNOW where you are with them and have had the displeasure of dealing with their useless selves, trust me they are bottom feeder DCAs and not even worth thinking about - if they're on the case it means DVLA (or anybody) doesn't really take it too seriously and they're just trying it out to see if they can bilk something out of you.