Money back for broken item

Marco73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all

I am looking for some advice on a sticky situation.

I recently bought a glass trinket box for my nieces' 1st communion. This cost me £22.99.

I took the box to an engraver's to have it engraved on the top where there is a mirrored steel oval plaque.

The engraver has now phoned me and told me that although he had completed the engraving, the glass had broken at the back of the box. He has apologised and said that he would not charge me for the engraving (£15) but he could not offer me a refund for the box as I hadn't purchased it from him.

Is there any way I can get him to compensate me for the breakage?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Thanks for the link rebel but this looks like it's more to do with refunds for purchased items. The thing is, I bought the box from elsewhere and not from the engraver. I took it to the engraver for an inscription on the oval and then the breakage happened.

Am I going to hit a brick wall by pursuing a claim for compensation?

This may be treated as a breach of contract, much the same as a claim because of faulty goods, because of Section 13 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

Implied term about care and skill.

In a contract for the supply of a service where the supplier is acting in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the supplier will carry out the service with reasonable care and skill.