How seriously do the rail companies take allegations of racism

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was on a train from Portsmouth Harbour to Havant today.

I was in a carriage with one other passenger a young black girl, the ticket inspector came into the carriage and asked the black girl for her ticket, immediatly she screamed at him that he was only asking for her ticket because she was black and did he think all black people were fare dodgers (the Ticket Inspector was white).

She then pointed at me and said why dont you ask the white woman for her ticket, the TI was very patient and said he would but at this time he was asking her for her ticket (bear in mind the TI came into the carriage nearest the Black girl so didnt pass me to get to her if that makes sense).

As the train was approaching my stop I got up and went over to the TI and showed him my ticket.

When I left the train I was standing outside for over 5 minutes waiting for my lift and the train was still standing there when I left so I am assuming either the police were being called or the girl was being asked to leave the train.

I have been thinking about this all day and I am wondering whether or not to make a call to the train company as I am worried that if the girl made allegations against the TI of racism that he may be in serious trouble and would need a witness to prove he was only doing his job.

Theres a very good chance that a complaint will be made, its almost certain to result in the TI's suspension & investigation.

Even if exonerated, he will still have it on his personnel file.

Ok in that case I will contact the company, would it be best if I went over the water and made a statement to someone at Portsmouth Harbour Station in person as a letter email or phone call may get lost.

If I do that will my statement be passed on to the TI or his rep automatically if a complaint is made.

I would have no issue about going to a tribunal or whatever to speak up for the TI

I think that all employers take allegations of racism very seriously.

There is a requirement for investigation into all complaints against 'authorised collectors' of penalty fares, and some companies use staff who are 'accredited' by either British Transport Police os the SIA.

Complaints will lead to suspension or dismissal, if substantiated.

In my part of the world, the council parking wardens carry a telephone which has a facility to record 'conversations'. It saves the bacon of more than a few of them by demonstrating who was abusing whom. My local railway does not want to spend the money on such equipment, and leaves the staff vulnerable.

I very much doubt the young lady will complain, as the people who usually play the race card are usually those who don't wish to show a ticket because they don't have one. From experience these people tend not to complain because they simply can't be bothered, and know full well the staff was just doing his/her job. I'd call or write to the TOC anyway, just in case, and I'm sure it would be appreciated! On-board CCTV will show that he was simply doing his job anyway, and unless she alleges that he used racist language towards her, I really can't see it going anywhere. It isn't nice to be suspended though, and can be very stressful, so any help at this stage would help I'm sure!

I've been called racist numerous times whilst simply doing my job, and it really bugs me. I don't like people sucking their teeth at me, but the minute I call them racist I find it doesn't quite work, because it's the other way around.

I think that all staff need from time to time to be reminded about 'being careful'. A lot of referrals from Unions relate to allegations of 'racism', fortunately very few are 'substantiated', and it has been some time since I last had the private thought that a member of railway staff had acted in a racist manner.

But: Imagine the scene, crowded station, lots of middle aged white folk, with their granchildren. One young male of African appearance, who the Inspector did not see buy a ticket. What COULD it look like if the inspector walks past people and straight to the African lad? Stereotyping? Racism? It may be that experience says that 'families' have tickets, single youths do not, but it may be wise to check from one end of the platform to another. It simply takes away a possibility of an accusation.

Unfortunately, this type of allegation is quite common. Last time it happened to me, I responded that in my opinion I was being harassed because of MY racial origin when I was trying to carry out my duties, (which I had done consistently), regardless of race, colour or any other factor. I then asked the passenger for their details so that I could make a report. Passenger's jaw dropped and money was found and handed over for a ticket. I made a full report before going off duty and was lucky enough to have an Asian passenger voluntarily supply his details as a potential witness.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :razz:

As an ex TM (guard) and a RP manager it was a common occurence to be accused of racism.

Over 80% of these accusers had no ticket and offered no form of payment when challenged.

I would also use the response when accused of such that I was being deliberately accused of an offence due to MY colour as a matter fo fact! (White caucasian as it happens).

I also agree with the earlier poster that staff should make a proper ticket sweep regardless of colour/age/dress in each carriage/area and that way they are less likely for either racism accusations to have any bearing or (and more importantly IMHO) for witnesses around to agree with such an accusation.

I was lucky enough to have a quite excellent colleague who was Nigerian on our RPI team, he being far better and more accurate than I at questioning had a much better succesful report/prosecution 'score', so woe betide the few who started off with the race card because they were black: they'd be put straight onto him!

Staff nowadays (particularly public facing frontline) have to have the patience of a saint!

and management are getting worse!

A few years ago, I found myself advising a Nigerian born railwayman, accused of racism. He was facing the 'chop', the accusation had been made at the sort of level that generates managerial interest of the unwelcome kind.

The accusation was made by two Ghanain women.

I won't say he was lucky, IMHO he had done nothing wrong, but it was fortunate that there were plenty of good witnesses, and CCTV from which the body language and so on could be deduced.

It was an uhnappy time for him, which he survived. A few years prior to that, a Geordie member of staff found himself in hot water. He used the words 'people like you' followed by 'make me sick'. The chap meant fare dodging abusive and down right nasty people. They made the allegation that he meant 'Somali'.

I remember one of my old Warrant Officers telling me 'you can think what you like, but just don't say it'. Staff do need to be aware of the allegations that they may face, and do thinks to make sure that nothing untoward can be alleged. In my experience, rail staff are incredibly careful with 'found property' when there is the possibility that they could be accused of pinching the money from the found wallet. They need to be equally aware of all of the other threats to their employment.

As far as internal disciplinaries which are much lower threshold than criminal this poor bloke may get suspended whilst enquiry is investigated, unless Police are going to take a lead first Race hate big news and lots of certain people know this. But the comment has to be racial and has to be believed truly by the injured party to be racial. By what you have said they are playing the card... I think if your kind enough to ring the company it would be an honourable thing to do and would unsubstantiate any allegation of racial abuse

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

Madamfluff, I just wanted to add that I think you're doing a great thing by supporting the staff member and hope I would do the same in your situation.

If you ever hear what happened, I for one would be interested to know.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I went personally to Portsmouth Harbour (gave me an excuse to go to the big shops:smile:)

Spoke to the duty manager gave him the time of train as I didnt know the TI name, all I had to do was fill in a report of what I had seen and heard - the Duty Manager said he didnt think anything would come of it but the TI concerned would be given my details (with my permission which made me laugh as I wouldnt have been making a statement if I didnt want to be contacted:?:) just in case allegations were made.

But he didnt think anthing would come of it.

I went personally to Portsmouth Harbour (gave me an excuse to go to the big shops:smile:)

Spoke to the duty manager gave him the time of train as I didnt know the TI name, all I had to do was fill in a report of what I had seen and heard - the Duty Manager said he didnt think anything would come of it but the TI concerned would be given my details (with my permission which made me laugh as I wouldnt have been making a statement if I didnt want to be contacted:?:) just in case allegations were made.

But he didnt think anthing would come of it.

Good on ya!

The sad fact is, if a complain was made, rail companies seldom stand by their employees and it's often guilty until proven otherwise!

what comes around goes around maybe someday someone will do something out of there way for you in return. nice move

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT