FCC - I sat in First Class with a Standard Ticket - Advice Desperatley Needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4712 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They 'face the same potential penalty' but I would imagine that a Court will see the difference between avoiding part of the fare or intending to avoid the whole fare.

The offence is the same actually:

Travelling without a ticket.

A passenger with a std class ticket in 1st 'has not paid their ticket' (Regina V Makin 1946 I beleive?).

i.e. no valid ticket is held = no ticket.

A passenger with a std class ticket in 1st 'has not paid their ticket' (Regina V Makin 1946 I beleive?).

Would 1946 not make it Rex instead of Regina v Makin?

Good ol' George VI sat happily 'pon t' throne until the 50s.

or possibly byelaw 19....

Is it not apparent?

It isn't apparent to me I'm afraid. Arguing about which monarch was on the throne in 1946 isn't going to help the OP avoid any consequences as a result of sitting in First Class with a Standard Class ticket

Back on subject, I suggest the following rulings might be the relevant references here:

'In cases where it is suspected that a passenger intended to avoid the appropriate fare it is for the inspector to prove intent, not for the passenger to prove his innocence'. R v Steane (1947)

A rail passenger who travels in First Class with a Second Class (now standard) ticket has not paid his fare. Gillingham & Walker (1881)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Julia. I answered your thread on the Welcome forum, I think it was.

Your thread should be on its way here soon, then you should receive advice later. I'm just letting the guys know there's another thread from you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi, I receiveed a letter this weekend, but it just says that I need to call them. It doesn't indicate what they are going to do. they don't pick up so I am waiting for them to return my call. I will update this thread when I know something. Toni

Hi, I receiveed a letter this weekend, but it just says that I need to call them. It doesn't indicate what they are going to do. they don't pick up so I am waiting for them to return my call. I will update this thread when I know something. Toni

If they have suggested that you ring them it is likely that they are considering allowing an administrative settlement.

I suggest that you keep trying to ring them. They are very unlikely to ring you and after all, it is you who are the alleged offender. If they have already told you that they intend to prosecute so if you don't make contact when an opportunity is offered to you, they will simply go ahead with that course of action.

That particular TOC office will not be staffed 24/7 so I suggest that you keep trying during daytime office hours.

Edited by Old-CodJA