Interest claim clarification?

gazza
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

In the FAQ's, step by step guide part 2 it talks about claiming interest back.

So, do I understand this correctly...when you send the letter before action into the bank you don't mention interest incurred other than from being in overdraft.

So are you saying that one can only claim interest if the case goes to court(not including OD interest)?

Because up until now I was under the impression that we could claim all interest on top of the actual charges...

Cheers

Gaz

To clarify:

You can reclaim the interest that is accrued from having charges added to your account. In order to do so, you will have to work out what part of the interest is due to the charges, which part is regular interest (which you obviously can't reclaim). Tricky, and even more so when they are at different rates. There's no standard formula, so you'll have to do the maths yourself if you want to go down that route.

If and when you get the county court claim, you are then legally allowed to add 8% to the charges.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks for the replies.

So just to be absolutely clear (sorry for being a bit fick)...

In the letter before action, you just mention the actual charges plus any OD interest?

Therefore if it is settled out of court, you can only claim the charges plus OD interest?

A thought I've just had...if you are writing threatening legal action, why can't you add the interest that a court case would award? To me it seems the same as taking them to court for the actual charges (that a court would hopefully award)??

I think I am confusing myself...

I am just wondering if you are getting confused by 2 types of interest...

When you issue a court claim, you claim 8% interest on your charges, irrespective of being simply overdrawn, or over the limit, when these charges occured.

The point which seems to confuse some people regarding the claiming of interest is in relation to claiming back the part of your overdraft interest that occured simply because of those charges... i.e.,

case 1 - you are overdraw by £350, the interest charges would have been, for example only, £2.38

case 2 - charges add another £76, making you overdrawn by £426, and the interest actually charged that month is £2.89

You could, in that case, claim back the difference of £0.51

I hope that helps you....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks everyone!

My letter's before action will be going in on Monday (without the 8% interest. I'm afraid I can't be bothered to work out any OD interest extras).

We (joint accounts) will be asking for £3,418 back from Abbey and £296 from Halifax.

With £2353 and £770 from Abbey to be asked for after the first claim is sorted (to keep my Abbey claims below the £5k court threshold).

Cheers

Gaz

You do not ask for the 8% interest until you have to file a claim in court .

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks