Bank Charges or Compensation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4833 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here I go with another round of gripes against corporate bullies.

Some advice needed before I start against them. This one is for Yorkshire Bank.

I attempted to use my debit card to buy some food and was embarrased to be told it had been rejected, it turned out the card had expired. Usually banks automatically send one, so I waited for a bit then went in to ask where it was. Apparently they had changed my address for some unknow reason and had been sending my statements, cards, pin-numbers and other hate mail to that address.

Now, TalkTalk managed to DD me without advanced warning and got refused, thereby giving the bank an excuse to pinch another £35 off me - which is pretty well most what I had to live off this week.(I'm long term ill and the DWP insist that I have a basic bank account.)

Having compromised security and starved me out - do you think they deserve a bonus?

Hi TW,

Thread moved to YB forum. :)

Although you may have been embarrassed when the card was refused, it was your responsibility to check it was in-date before use. No compensation for this.

However, if you have consequential losses as a result of the bank's error in changing your address, the bank should be informed of those losses and you should seek a refund.

If the bank's error resulted in your personal data being sent elsewhere compromising the security of your data, you should seek compensation from the bank. If they refuse, you can make a formal complaint to the ICO.

If TalkTalk attempted to take a DD without notifying you at all, they may be liable for any consequential bank charges incurred by you. However, they'd normally send a bill or email bill saying how much and when your a/c will be debited. It is then, of course, your responsibility to see that funds are available.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Cheers for that; wasn't really concerned about the embarrasment. More concerned about the security (and double standards).

The Talk Talk thing comes from a complecation over installation dates; I dont have a bill with a specific DD date on it (AFAIK). Where is the burden of proof for sending an e-bill.?

Hi TW,

A bill notification by email normally confirms the date on which an amount will be taken by DD.

So, if they sent you a bill by email, it is your responsibility to see the bank a/c has adequate funds to cover the DD when it is taken.

If you were not happy with a bill for reason of dates, or anything else, it should have been queried before the DD due date. You could, for instance, have said you dispute the bill for xxx reasons and ask that they defer the DD.

8)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Well it was the first bill that I nither knew the date nor the amount, anyway I've been combing their small print and I gather they should have sent me the first bill as hardcopy (without additional billing charges.) I'm writing them a catalogue of dissatisfactions.

But back to the Yorkshire Bank question: Has anyone had any experience with banks messing up security, how to claim compensation, who to approach ie Information Commissioner's Office? and what to expect?

Hi TW,

Have you requested a change of account number after their disclosure of your data to the incorrect address.

In my post #2 above, I suggested that you complain to the bank about any breach of security of your personal data.

Keep the complaint brief and ask them to compensate you for their failings. Tell them they have 14 days to respond satisfactorily or you'll make a formal complaint to the ICO.

8-)

I didnt even think of changing my account number. Doh!

Thanks slick - that of keeping the complaint brief and giving them 14 days is sage wisdom.

I will do that and keep the forum updated on the outcome.