How long can a landlord leave me without hot water and heating?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The landlord has been notified of all issues via email so thats sorted. I am going to give him one last try tomorrow to see what is going to happen then I may have to take it further. If he does seek possession he will not be able to relet until issues are resolved, which to me seems a bit silly if he does go down that route as it will cost him the same price regardless whether someone is here or not, plus he will not be getting any rent either. Also I will be homeless to, havent got enough for a deposit for somewhere else either. I would also contest it as it seems he would be doing it because I complained about the heating etc., so I would fight tooth and nail on that.

To be honest I dont think he would be able to get a GSC because of the way things are with the boiler/Central heating.

I have put a thermometer in all the rooms for an hour at a time and they are all at 10 except where I have the electric fire.

I do appreciate all that you are trying to help me with.

You are welcome...

If he's been receiving - and replying - to your emails and this is still not sorted then you do need to seriously consider approaching the Environmental Health Department at your Local Authority

One thing they are bound to mention - or, at least, I would hope so - are the Landlord's "Section 11" obligations, aside from his legal duty to carry out annual gas safety checks, and a general duty of care to service the appliances too

Section 11 (copied and pasted from elsewhere, I'll PM you the link as CAG does not always like links to other sites)

"The principal source of the landlord's responsibilities is statutory. The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 section 11, which is implied into all tenancies of less than seven years duration, states that the landlord must:

a) keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes,

b) keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity, and

c) keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water.

This provision is implied into all tenancies entered into after 24 October 1961 and imposes an obligation on landlords to effect basic repairs, which is absolute. Section 11 cannot be excluded from any residential tenancy and a landlord cannot negotiate with the tenant that section 11 will not apply to the tenancy. If the landlord did this and the tenant then chose to pursue a section 11 disrepair claim, then the court would not recognise that agreement. If there is an express term in the tenancy agreement to repair and it falls short of the requirements of section 11, the whole of section 11 will be implied into the agreement. However, it is possible for a term in the tenancy agreement itself to impose greater liability on the landlord than the statute requires."

So, as you see, it really IS for the Landlord to sort...

Hope that helps and good luck too

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)