A debt to University

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. I would be grateful if anyone could help me a bit with my problem.

I am a Lithuanian citizen, a non-UK resident. In 2006 I started my studies at a University in London. I have spent a bit over a week at the University and then quit in order to get into another University and another course. I supplied the first uni with an address that I have not actually ever lived at and was just staying at a friends place before I could find an apartment of my own.

It's going to be 5 years in September/October since I have quit my week long studies at that first University but I have been contacted by a debt collection agency and, apparently, I owed the uni 500 pounds after quitting in order to enroll at another place of study.

I have never in these 4.5 years received any kind of notification from the University, although, they obviously had my Lithuanian address and could have sent some kind of letter. I had a falling out with that friend and we didn't contact each other in years, therefore, I wasn't notified of any letters that were sent to me to that address. Then again, I have never even officially lived at that place, just stayed there for a couple of weeks.

I am currently a student back at my home country, I don't have a job and I am not able to repay the debt, as small as it may be. I could've if I was notified when I was in the UK, since I had a job there but now it is impossible for me to do so.

My question is: I have read about the Statute of Limitations on Debts and was wondering whether it could apply to me? It's about a year left until I fall under this statute and, truthfully, I wouldn't want to repay this debt as I only spent about ten days at that place, was young and stupid for not checking the contract and never notified, even by the personnel at the University, that I had to pay something to anybody. I am only bothered about the debt collector getting a CCJ on me and that debt hanging on for the rest of time, or even worse, they get an order back at my home country. Is this possible? For a 500 pound debt? Could they have gotten a CCJ with me NEVER being notified properly about the debt, me never having contacted them in the last 4.5 years?

I was also wondering: The phone call I received, they didn't mention anything about the debt or that they even were debt collectors. They only named their company and I looked it up online and they mentioned that it was regarding my University. I found my friend and asked whether she received any letters for me and she said that 3-4 years ago my University sent letters to me about the 500 pounds but she never contacted me as we were not keeping in touch and she thought I'd figured it out by now. During the phone call I gave the debt collector my address in Lithuania and he is supposed to forward me the letters. I was wondering if it is possible for me just to ignore the letters, do not write back or call back and next year the debt will be written off? (Not written off but they won't be able to take any court action at least) Just live as I used to "unaware" of the debt for a service never received and not notified of for half a decade... I am just afraid of the CCJ.

Could anyone give a little insight into this question. I am very grateful in advance for your time.

My question is: I have read about the Statute of Limitations on Debts and was wondering whether it could apply to me?
Yes unless they have obtained a CCJ or you have made a payment or written acknowledgement of the debt within the six years.
get an order back at my home country. Is this possible? For a 500 pound debt?
There are reciprocal agreements between EU countries where cross border actions can be taken but the would have needed to have obtained a CCJ first... something they cannot legally do against a non-UK resident. To take any legal action in Lithuania would not be cost effective... it would cost them a lot more than the £500 they are claiming.
I was wondering if it is possible for me just to ignore the letters,
Yes.
I am just afraid of the CCJ.
If they obtained one in the UK it can easily be set aside because you are not a UK resident.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT